IAI May09 - Q9 CAPM with Dividends

Discussion in 'SP6' started by Oxymoron, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Why is dividend added to market returns here? A dividend will lead to a drop in index value by a proportionate figure - reducing stock returns too, won't it?

http://www.actuariesindia.org/downloads/exampapers/May2009/QP/ST6_IAI_0509_QP_Final.pdf

http://www.actuariesindia.org/downloads/exampapers/May2009/sol/ST6_IAI_0509_Sol_Final.pdf

This should then be:
    Rp = Rf + beta*(Rm - Qm - Rf).
    where Qm = dividend from market.

Also, if the objective is to protect the value from dropping by more than 4%, should this not be inclusive of dividend?

=> Rp + Qp = 4%

=> Rp = 4.75%

-4.75 = 1.25 + 1.25*(Rm - .5 - 1.25)
    => Rm = -3.05%?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

If we were looking at a Total Return Index, then we wouldn't add on the dividend yield, but the NSE Nifty is a Price Index.

Have a look at the example on page 63 of Hull (8th edition). This goes through the reason for the dividend adjustments.

3. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Thanks Mike. Please correct me where I'm wrong here:

If the objective is to protect the value of fund from dropping 4% - doesn't this mean that the % difference between current value and the then value should not be < -4%?

This can then be split as capital gains % + dividends % >= -4%
    or capital gains >= -4% - dividends %

The solution however adds dividends to the right hand side of the equation...

4. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

The examiners are assuming that the 4% requirement applies to the capital gains element, so that including dividends, we require a total return of no less than -3.25%.

You are assuming that the 4% requirement applies to the total return, taking account of dividends and so you'll get a different answer.

I think the question could be interpreted either way and so, provided your answer is explained clearly, you should get equal credit for your interpretation.

5. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Perfect! Thanks Mike!