IAI May 2006

Discussion in 'CT2' started by kartik_newpro, May 9, 2012.

1. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Q. Maxwell ltd. Common stock beta is 1.2 and the debt/equity ratio is 0.7. The corporation tax rate is 30 %. If risk free return is 6% and market risk premium is 5% then what is the required rate of return on total assets of the company?

A. 12.20%
    B. 15.73%
    C. 9.83%
    D. 9.24%

I think required rate of return means "CAPM cost of equity". But it doesnt work. The "total assets" part confuses me.

2. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

I am waiting for a reply guys.

3. Walrus

Walrus Member

I would be calculating the WACC.
    The amount of debt is 0.7. Amount of equity is 1. Total assets = 1.7
    The required return on equity is 6% + 1.2 x 5% = 12%
    Not sure what rate to use for debt. If you can borrow at the risk-free rate then net cost of debt = (1-30%) x 6%= 4.2%

So WACC = 8.79% - sorry, not one of the options! Obviously can't borrow at the risk-free rate??

4. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Thats my dilemma. None of the options seem to fit. The answer is 9.83%.

Unfortunately, the IAI solutions do not post explanation of multiple choice answers, only the answers.

5. shefali

shefali Member

all i can say is return on assets is different from wacc...i came across one of the IAI papers...but now dont remember....:(......its a lil logical instead of calculative.....:cool:

6. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Required rate of return is the same as the CAPM cost of equity.

I dont know any other interpretation of total assets other than the total of assets column of balance sheet. Current Assets + Non current assets.

But no information about that in the question.

Plus, anyone know the what does "common stock beta" denote? Is it the ungeared beta or geared?

7. shefali

shefali Member

i think it is the ungeared one...read the question well......some where there might be a hint....

8. Walrus

Walrus Member

Even if I assume the beta is ungeared and then convert to a geared beta, I don't get any of the options!

9. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Yeah. It comes out to be 10.52%. I thought it would be nice if any of the AcEtd Tutors might try this.