IAI CT3 May 2015 question out of syllabus?

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Ujjwal Goyal, May 5, 2015.

1. Ujjwal Goyal

Ujjwal Goyal Member

One Question was from peatro Distribution which was not in iai sylabus...it was for 14 marks

and in one question it was bar x= sum x

M i wrong or really there was error in the paper.

2. was this in india? i took the indian paper, in singapore centre... but there was no such question.... different papers i suppose?

3. Ujjwal Goyal

Ujjwal Goyal Member

I have given paper in india....C B^4/(B+X)^4 Something like that i dont remb exctly but i have checked it is there in tables pareto distribution...still not convenced....but would be happy if some one will update me on this.....

4. Jammy

Jammy Member

It was given as an unknown distribution. The Q could be solved without prior knowledge of the Pareto distribution.

Eg: the mean And variance could've been worked out from 1st principles

5. KeyurShah

KeyurShah Member

It does not matter whether the distribution is in the syllabus or not.

What matters is that you can apply the concepts to situations which you haven't encountered in the past papers and the syllabus.

As Jay said, the mean and variance can be found without any prior knowledge of the distribution using first principles.

And regarding the sum where Xbar = Sum X was given, I guess it is a printing mistake.

The paper has been uploaded on the IAI website already.

6. sahildh

sahildh Member

Are the question papers uploaded so early on the website ?

7. Ujjwal Goyal

Ujjwal Goyal Member

thanks for the respones...

i do agree we can find the mean and variance which i have done it....but what about method of movements....and remaing part of the question....

8. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Equate the mean to the sample mean, \(\bar X\) this will give you the method of moments estimate.

9. salj67

salj67 Member

john, what do you think could be an achievable score in this paper for a well prepared student?

10. salj67

salj67 Member

anyone who could solve more than 70 marks?

11. sahildh

sahildh Member

I found the paper to be alright except a few areas ;like the distribution function for the compound distribution and the mse minimization question. Rest paper was fine. But yay due to lack of time I missed question 4, my bad !

How was yours?

12. salj67

salj67 Member

i could do around 70-75 marks...
    couldnt finish the 14 marker pareto as it struck me 5 mins before time up..
    btw what anova table did we have to make for the regression model?
    how much do u think u will score?

13. sahildh

sahildh Member

Frankly speaking I actually overlooked the ANOVA part in the regression question.
    I also could attempt for around 70-75 marks. Let's see what happens on the result day (fingers crossed) !:p

14. salj67

salj67 Member

anyone who cleared ct3 and knows about how much the passing marks would be?...(i am really worried)

15. John Lee

I have to be honest with you - I thought this was the nicest IAI CT3 paper that I have seen for a long while....

16. salj67

salj67 Member

no hopes of passing then...i am sure there might have been many who could have done better:(

17. Mohit099

Mohit099 Member

By when can we expect the solutions to IAI CT3 be uploaded on the IAI website? Also, how many of you feel that IAI CT3 pass marks would lie between 55-65 this time?

18. sujak

sujak Member

IAI CT3 May2015

Does anyone have an idea when the results would be declared.

19. John Lee

Last week of July or first week of August usually.

20. sujak

sujak Member

Thank you for the information.

21. salj67

salj67 Member

Results out! Cleared CT1 and ct3...:)