I threw away TV in the BIN

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by sonnyshook, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

I threw away my TV in the big bin outside our apartment block.....

....prior to which I had received the obligatory veiled-threatening letter from the License people two weeks ago.

I figured why bother paying for a service that I never use.

I felt very "senior" walking away from the bin.

Yes snobs..it was LCD.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  2. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Notsureifserious.jpg

3. Not sure why the need for the announcement?

4. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

Not sure why the sarcasm.

This is the TV section!

Anyway I feel better for it - no TV. If you are not watching TV then you are not missing anything really.

DVD boxsets have provided me with the opportunity to watch:

• Mad Men
    • Big Love
    • Breaking Bad
    • Sopranos
    • The Wire
    • House
    • 30 Rock
    • Dexter
    all in my time, all my choice, all my money and all on my laptop or desktop.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  5. No sarcasm, I'm seriously not sure why there was a need for this announcement.

6. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

Ok

I sincerely apologise for making the announcement.

7. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Not sure why the need for an apology.

8. mattt78

mattt78 Member

tv BIN

erm, my guess is it was just a light hearted conversation starter from soonny, innit.

FYI sonny, you don't need to buy a tv license. Yes, legally you are required to hold one if you have access to bbc tv, but they can't 'do' you for not having one unless you invite them into your property to see for themselves that you are actually watching tv. (And even if you were temporarily mad enough to do that, the average fine is not much more than the cost of a license anyway!) It is effectively a voluntary tax. (I get a letter every couple of weeks pointing out that I don't have a license - it must cost them a fortune in postage.)

And you are welcome to watch any dvds, box sets etc on your big lcd tv without holding a tv license!

And you can record a whole series using the 'series link' button an a sky box, (or a freeview box probably) if you want - pause, rewind, ffwd etc - i rarely watch anything live these days myself, i just series link the good stuff, and watch stuff when i want, and ffwd the boring bits :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  9. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

Thanks for the support peeps

Essentially this past year is the first time I had to buy a licence. When I was a full time student we just never paid for a licence because we only stayed in a place for a year max and we thought we were the untouchables. After Uni when I moved in with the gf she had a licence which she renewed annually. Now that I dumped her last year she took her licence with her and her Sky plus.

BTW We are seeing each other again strangely - incidentally she moved in back but she leaves in the upstairs apartment. Now there - I feel better I said it.

Disclaimer: This account was entirely for entertainment purposes.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  10. mattt78

mattt78 Member

tv bin

Strange set up soony! And I can't believe you let her have custardy of the sky+ box. Dunno what you were thinking there.

well if the upstairs apartment is a separate address, it would need a separate license, officially

but unofficially, we're all 'untouchable' with regards to tv licenses, so i say watch without and enjoy - the risk/reward balance is overwhelmingly in your favour, innit. I haven't had one for about 4 years!

(alternatively, go upstairs and watch on hers)

11. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

"Custardy" ...wow you are funny.

I had to because she would use it more than me.

I do see value in it (recording only what you want to watch) and will get one as a qualifying present.

lol