I am doing ST1 April 2006 sitting. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'SP1' started by I_love_actuaries, Oct 6, 2005.

1. For the second time, having FB-ed in April 2005...

My plan this time is to pass.

2. lin

lin Member

Yep, me too - first sitting for me. I definitely hope to pass but it sounds like a first attempt pass at this one is a long shot... All this of course in the hope that I pass CA12 that I wrote in September!

3. Hey Lin, you're in SA? lekker...

I have lots of SA friends working in my office/our London office. Whats it like studying over there?

4. lin

lin Member

Well that's a hard one to answer, because I don't know how it differs from the UK!

I work for an international firm and our study policy gets developed in our UK office, so I imagine the study benefits are very similar to what you're used to. The actuarial profession is far less well-known here than in the UK; I can't tell you how many times people at university asked me "so how is actuarial science different from accounting?"

One benefit we have is that the long study session (Sept to April) falls in our summer, so we can take time off in summer without jeopardising our studies, while April to Sept is wintertime and mostly rain in Cape Town, so it's easy to stay inside and study!

5. examstudent

examstudent Member

hi

referring to lins post here he/she says passing this exam first time appears a long shot

i agree passing any actuarial exam first time is a long shot to an extent
    but this exam had the highest pass rate in april 2005 out of all ST subjects
    is tehre any reason for that
    is the course/exam supposed to be much easier than the rest?