Hypothesis testing/Critical Region significance?!

Discussion in 'CT3' started by n111kus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. n111kus

n111kus Member

Hi,

I have a question about hypothesis testing.

I understand that if the value of a test statistic is within the critical region you reject null hypothesis.

Is it correct to say that the p-value is the probability of obtaining that value?

If the probability value is 30%, is it correct to say that there is a 30% chance of obtaining that value, and you would most likely be accepting null hypothesis?

Finally, the critical region for a t14,0.025 = +/- 2.1448 and t14,0.05 = +/-1.7613, so if the test statistic value was 2, you would accept null hypothesis at 2.5%, but reject at 5% level...What is the significance of this??

Would appreciate any comments...

Thanks

Nik

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Apologies if you sat this on Thursday last week and my reply is too late.

The p-value is equal to the P(type 1 error) = prob of rejecting the null hypothesis when it's true.

So if the p-value is 30% then if you reject the null hypothesis there's a 30% chance that you've bodged it. Which is bad. Hence we only reject the null hypothesis if the p-value is less than 5%. So there's a 95% chance we didn't reject it when it's correct.

I'm assuming that it is a one-sided test (otherwise the p-value is double these probabilities) in which case you would say the p-value is between 2.5% and 5%. This means we can reject the null hypothesis at 5% but we can't quite reject it at the 2.5% value. (It would be unusually to test it at the 2.5% level - however you would be correct in saying we wouldn't reject it at the 2.5% level).