How To Study

Discussion in 'CT3' started by SATYA PRAKASH, Sep 15, 2006.

1. SATYA PRAKASH

SATYA PRAKASH Member

I am confused
    how much deep should i go . I find all the Probability questions very easy in the study material . Should i practice more questions & theorems
    theorems on probability & mean (AM,GM,HM)
    :confused:
    :confused:

2. Cardano

Cardano Member

It is a bit harder to give advice on CT3 than other exams as many people have covered it at university even if they don't get an exemption. It is almost completely covered in some Further maths A level (Stats option) courses.

I skimped on my preparation for this one, but in general I prepare by doing Bank questions, X questions, Y questions, the old Z questions and all the past papers back to 1994. I even pick up past papers on university sites where exemptions are given

Most people under prepare which is why the failure rate on actuarial exams is so high. These exams are not hard, just laborious. I tend to overprepare, but then I'm self employed and so I can be quite flexible on preparation

3. hi5

hi5 Member

Yes thats something i have learnt the hard way.

How do you do that? Could u share it with us?

Thats intersting. So what does your work involve?
    thanks

4. Cardano

Cardano Member

Hi5 - I simply don't enter unless I think I can beat 90% of those who sit exams. That way I should pass even if I have a bad day. This isn't a method I would necessarily recommend, nor is it the quickest way to get through, but it suits me psychologically. Also my business is education based and I suspect I'll end up teaching this some day so learning it properly makes sense.

5. hi5

hi5 Member

Thanks.
    I see, thats an interesting strategy.

So how much is your total expected time of qualification?

6. Cardano

Cardano Member

That's quite a difficult question to answer as qualification was never really my main aim. Improving my statistics and financial maths was my real aim. I did 101 in Apr 02 but as I knew all of it already I didn't really start studying in earnest until june 02. I have the nine 100's/CT's ST3 and I should have passed ST4 this time round (all first time passes). I didn't sit any exams in 2004 as I spent all my spare time parting Ladbrokes, William Hills, Corals and other assorted bookmakers from their cash. However they got fed up with me taking advantage of their well known weaknesses and closed or restricted my accounts so I went back studying the actuarial exams in 2005.
    I suppose I could qualify in 2007 if I pulled my finger out, but I'm still not sure which SA to do. When you are 42, as I am, you tend to take a rather more relaxed attitude to these things