How to stay motivated to study while WFH

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Milly, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Milly

Milly Member

Hey guys. Recently since lockdown I’ve lost my motivation to study :( I’m finding it really hard to get back in the zone and I’m falling behind on my prep work for tutorials.
    Before lockdown I used to go into the office before work and study in a meeting room before work. For Sept exams I was studying mostly outside in the garden before work. Now it’s too cold for outside and I’m currently in tier 3 so I can’t even go to cafes etc. I don’t really have the space to study in a different place to my desk I work from so it is hard to motivate myself to study when I’m sat in the same seat for way too many hours a day. Is anyone else having a similar problem?

Also I’ve been sleeping in until last minute before work, and studying before work is my preference (I’m usually too tired by the end of the working day) so I guess I need to fix that first :(

Any advice welcome, or even just an accountability buddy or similar. Thanks

2. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

Hi Milly,

I found the same to be happening when lockdown was first announced, as I used to go to libraries and cafes before. It’s definitely an adjustment that’s for sure, and I think it may be moreso getting into a routine once again but appreciate it’s very difficult when the only hours of sunshine are through the working day.

I think one thing to remember is that sometimes it’s ok to take time to adjust. As cliché as it sounds going for a walk in the morning can help clear your mind and set a fresh start to the day. I tended to set a limit on time for work back towards the end of August where possible so that I wouldn’t be completely drained. Also if there are other people sitting exams in your office even maybe a call to see how they’re finding it (or better yet a video call or something to talk through how you’re feeling and what they are finding to work).

We’re all new to this situation, so you’re most definitely not alone in this regard :)