How to quit a job???

Discussion in 'Careers' started by archimedes, Jun 10, 2006.

1. archimedes

archimedes Member

Hi All,

I need some tips on how to quit my current job but don't know how to go about it. I was hoping some of you were (or have been) in a similar situation and could advise me.

Currently working in pensions and have been working there for about a year or so. The work is enjoyable now and then but I feel that there were too many days where I haven't enjoyed it at all. Everyone in the workplace seems to think I've progressed well in such a small office with very minimal training and that I'm getting on well and I seem to get on very well with workmates.
    However, I feel that progression is too slow. I started off on an unbelievably low salary and progressed towards the end of the 1 year mark with a suitable rise, but this is still at least £2-£4k lower than what a new graduate with no experience would start on in the UK market.
    Hence for these 2 main reasons I feel that I should quit with a multitude of other opportunities open to me. But, I don't know how to tell my employer this and would not want to burn any bridges.

How do I go about telling my employer this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2006
  2. archimedes

archimedes Member

20 views, no reply??? Anyone?????

3. Gareth

Gareth Member

it's easy, just say that you have been offered several positions offering a substantially better package and greater responsibilities, and that while you enjoy working at XYZ Ltd, you must do what is best for your long term career...

4. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

Am not sure about the whole letter of resignation thing. It all seems a bit formal.

Archimedes - you say you work for a small company, so I think it would be better to ask your manager for a face to face meeting. Companies expect a certain amount of graduates to leave after 6 months a year anyway so he/she may not be surprised. Nobody expects you to have chosen the right job immediately.

Looking at your reasons for leaving I'm not sure that you even have to. The grass is always greener and we all have bad days at work. Working is just not fun. But we all have to do it to make money. So a new job may not guarantee a better time at work and you may be sacrificing the good friends you have at your current job.

With regards to more money the easiest way to get a salary increase is to ask for it. Take Gareths advice above but spin it to allow them to offer you more money to make you stay. It's cheaper for them than recruiting someone else. My friend tried this a couple of times and it's always worked for her. Her tack is "I'd really love to stay but I just can't afford to live on this salary. I can see that in -other company- I could earn £X".

If you do decide to leave then the best thing to do is try and get a few interviews (or even a job) lined up before you go. Cuts down time spent without getting any money in the door and makes leaving easy. "Hi Boss, Have to leave am starting new job on Monday"!!!

Hope this helps
    Louise

5. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

You don't give any indication as to whether you really want to stick with an actuarial career or are just fed up of pensions.

If you want to stick with an actuarial career, get talking to some recruitment agencies - they are usually hungry to snap up and assist disaffected employees committed to an actuarial career.

Don't do more than your working hours and spend the rest of the time reseaching what you really want to do.

When you do have another job to go to, you might be a bit nervous telling your current employee if it's the first time you've done it, but it's a nice feeling to be telling them another one values you more highly (because they have a better handle on current market rates). They may or may not try to keep you by offering to match what you've been offered, but in reality, if you've gone to all the trouble of finding a better job with better conditions, unless there are other significant advantages, I'd say you're unlikely to take it.

6. archimedes

archimedes Member

Thanks for the replies Gareth, LouiseF, Monkey catcher, SaunyBean :)
    Well, I have to truly honest with myself and say that only one year into my career, I don't think I should kick up a major fuss about the money.
    What I do realise though is that I don't want to be in pensions longer term and now that I know what I want to do I don't think I should hesitate finding a job like that. The reason being is that I wouldn't like to become a pensions lawyer (if you know what I mean) and that is where I think the job is taking me. Although it isn't too technical, there are a few things that that do require technical work (talk about being fussy!). I know that I have excellent technical skills which I've gained over the years (or the ability to pick them up really quickly) which I will never get to use in my current job and I feel that these skills could be put to better use in either life, GI or investment.
    Don't get me wrong here: I don't want to be a technical actuary sitting in a back office doing calculations all day! I guess what I'm really looking for is variety and I don't think I'm getting that. By variety I mean working on totally different types of project, liaising, working and communicating with other non actuarial professionals, maybe a job that involves a bit of travelling here and there etc. etc. the list could go on!
    In easier terminology, I think I'd be happier in a job where I look forward to each day at the start of every morning!

7. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Do such jobs exist?

8. kazikizi

kazikizi Member

avanbuiten,

why do you want to know watch-making? :confused:

9. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Because I'm training to be an Accurist (as in the watch brand) just like everyone else who posts here.

I always wanted to be a watch-maker so when I heard about Accurist's and that they work with numbers (like most watch makers!).... I thought this is what I want to do. I was especially impressed with the salaries on offer to Accurists over normal watch-makers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2006