How to Pass the later exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by ntickner, Nov 12, 2013.

1. ntickner

ntickner Very Active Member

I've spent a number of years managing actuarial students, and helping them with their studies. In doing that, I've collected a number of strategies that helped both me and have put them down into a book. This is available on Amazon here for just over £6.

It's particularly aimed at those who've completed the CT exams, and are struggling with the CA/ST/SAs.

I'd be keen to have discussions with anyone who does buy it - I'm interested in improving the guide and helping the lot of students everywhere.

2. JayDee

JayDee Member

Is there a way to make this available internationally? I cant buy it and really want to because amazon says its only for UK customers. Please note, we cant use kindle in our country either. Is it possible to sell it through say adobe digital editions similar to what the Profession does for core reading?

Thanks.

3. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

I have lost count of how many people have had to resit the SA or communication exam a ridiculous number of times, even if they have passed all the other exams first or second time. Clearly a different system is at play for these ones, as the exam counselling for those who fail are often laughable and fundamentally unhelpful.

4. Pede

Pede Member

ActEd does an exam skills webinar that is very popular, it also covers study techniques etc

5. ntickner

@JayDee - It should be available internationally - if you go to your local Amazon site, it should be listed there. (If not, let me know, and I'll see if I can change that). I wasn't aware that there are countries that don't get access to Kindle - can you not use the Kindle app on a smartphone/tablet/computer?

@mpyan1 - I can't speak for the 'laughable' counselling, as I've never had any involvement with it. But there certainly is a higher standard expected in the SA exam - regurgitation of facts isn't enough. I'm hoping that my book will help. I haven't dealt with Communication in the book, as that's another whole topic entirely. As is CA2, which I'm hoping to get around to in the next installment.

@Pede - ActEd provide a lot of good material. Well worth it if your budget is flexible. In particular, their marking service is very helpful.

6. JayDee

JayDee Member

Nope, digital books via kindle are not available internationally because of legal issues! We don't have a local amazon so we use amazon uk and us. It works for almost everything except digital books for which it explicitly states only uk purchases allowed. And yes I've tried it on a pc, mac, iphone and iPad!

7. ach0087

ach0087 Member

is this available in non-kindle format in the uk?

8. ntickner

Not currently, but if there's demand I can make a plan.

9. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

It's either a genuine higher standard, or that the criteria is so soft for marking purposes that they can pass or fail who they want and no one can lodge a serious grievance. Remember they are extremely cagey about revealing how they determine who gets to pass or fail, all very secretive stuff.

All they'll get from counselling is things like "you could also have said this...." but that's true for anyone who sits these exams. Everyone could say more but some get to pass. When they ask more open questions with no hint of the way they want the answer to go, it's a bit like asking someone to hit a dart board with no numbers on it then get told you didn't score enough.