How to juggle new subjects with retakes

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Chapati, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Chapati

Chapati Member

Hiya,

I've just taken my first ever set of actuarial exams, and am deciding on the next set....I was just wondering how people decide which new exams to sit whilst waiting for their results?

Do you just take two new subjects, and then if you need to retake just do the third too (should be easier second time round?)

or do you take one subject, wait for the results before deciding the other

or do you to the re-sit a year later rather than in the next sitting?

I can't decide what to do or what the best course of action would be!

2. Erik

Erik Member

I would:
    Take on one more subject. Work through it quickly.

When results come out:
    Passed all your exams: Decide if you have a good understanding of the subject you started. If you do, take on one more.
    Passed one exam: Redo the failed one and write the one you started on.
    Passed no exams: Drop the new subject and re-take the two you have failed.

I would not wait another year to re-sit a failed subject, because:
    1. You're gonna forget a lot more after 1 year than after 6 months
    2. The syllabus might change again.

Hope this helps. Some people might have other ideas - Some people only start studying once results are out.

3. vix

vix Member

This is by no means the only way to approach studies but it can sometimes prove beneficial to study two new subjects straight away. If you do then find you have failed an exam, retake this during the following session rather than immediately.

I was unsupported for a while and this approach was suggested by an ActEd tutor (thanks Bev!) and it has worked well for me.

I know some employers are dead set against this approach though so it's best to check with them first.

4. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

I've actually been thinking about it too... I've just done 2 but ofcourse I definitely think I've failed CT4... so I was thinking of starting CT5 in May and then if I fail, just pick CT4 back up...

Why do you think that waiting for another session to do the failed exam is better Vix??

5. vix

vix Member

It is usually better to understand the material covered than try to remember an entire CT course. If you take it straight away, your time is limited in the current session as you will already have waited for your exam reults. This will probably mean that you go back over the course and simply try to memorise the important bits ready for the exam.

If you leave it for a session, it gives you more time. It also prevents you having to interrupt a new subject so you can focus on the current session without worrying about what-ifs.

Personally, I have always found a CT subject easier to understand after a session away from it. What is it they say? - a change is as good as a rest.

This is, of course, only my opinion - everyone works in a diferrent way.

6. Chapati

Chapati Member

Thanks guys, that helps!