How to identify distribution?

Discussion in 'CT3' started by deepakraomore, Dec 7, 2011.

1. deepakraomore

deepakraomore Member

Hi,
    i am not from statistic background. What i studied was basic stat.
    1) How to identify the distribution that asked in the question?
    e.g if the rate of the event occurring per unit time-Poisson distribution.
    2) Its difficult to understand the basic concept of Beta, Gamma, Chi Square, F and T distributions.
    Is there any way (books or website) to follow the basic idea of theses distributions?

Regards
    Deepak

2. Calum

Calum Member

3. tiger

tiger Member

As someone who hadn't studied statistics for a long time, I found the statspack very useful.

4. freddie

freddie Member

I think all the distributions in Chapter 4 look at bit frightening at first, but I think you'll get used to them with practice.

You'll probably be told the distribution to use. The only ones that you might have to recognise will be the binomial (n trials with a constant probability of success/failure), the Poisson (with a constant rate of occurrence per time interval, eg 1 per minute or 60 per hour), and the negative binomial (where X is the number of trials (TypeI) or failures (Type II) until the kth success).

The Actuarial Tables will give you all the information you need about the distributions, eg the density functions, and you'll just have to remember how to calculate certain things from these distributions, eg how to find the mean.

There are certain relationships that are useful to know. One of the most important is that chi-square is a special cases of the gamma (See Tables page 12), and that a gamma probability can be converted into a chi-square probability and looked up in the chi-square tables.