How to combine accountancy and statistics?

Discussion in 'Careers' started by mnbvmnbv, Jul 30, 2014.

1. mnbvmnbv

mnbvmnbv Member

Hi All,

I'm 1 exam off qualifying as an accountant. I do about 20% statistical analysis (data mining, spotting patterns, returns on investment etc) on financial data and 80% tedius reconciling etc. I was wondering how to go about getting a job that's at least 80% statistics but still pays me for being a (nearly) qualified accountant?

I've got a mechanical engineering degree from russel group university (but only got a 2:2) and have self-taught myself A-level statistics (but haven't taken the exam). I guess I should leave actuary work to the maths double firsts, but was wondering if you have a good perspective of similar career niches where an accountancy qualification might help?

Thanks for your help,

mnbvmnbv

2. antzlck

antzlck Member

Given the forum you've posted this to the obvious question is, do you want to be an actuary or not?

3. mnbvmnbv

mnbvmnbv Member

I would like to be an actuary but I don't think it's realistic given that I worked pretty hard at uni and only got a 2:2 - and being 31 years old I think there's a risk I could spend my thirties trying and failing to pass the exams. I'm just curious to know what actuaries consider to be similar 'almost as good' careers that I could consider? (if you had an accountancy qualification on your side and love working with statistics)

Thanks

4. GI Jane

GI Jane Member

I used to work in Basel II credit scoring before I became an actuary. It's a very similar job to being a GI actuary (which I am now).

Most large banks in the UK and Ireland will have a department that does it.

The kind of people who worked there were

• People who had numeric degrees like maths, comp sci, stats, engineering, finance
    • Accountants
    • People who wanted to be actuaries but didn't want to do/kept failing exams

I left that job when I was 25 and got qualified as an actuary by 28 so it doesn't necessarily take too long to get through the exams if you are extremely dedicated.

If you think you would like to be an actuary but are unsure about the exams, you could consider CT1 as a non member. It's one of the easiest exams but if you can pass that, you have the potential to get through the rest.