How to best utilise past exam papers?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Jinnentonix, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jinnentonix

Jinnentonix Member

Hi there

I'm now in the process of doing past papers and I am looking at tips on how to best use them. At the moment, how I tackle it is:

1. I identify where my answer is different from the model solution and record those differences.

For example, there was a question in a mock exam about the food industry being a non-cyclical industry where investors are risk averse and expect high dividends.

2. I then attempt to find overarching themes in my reasoning which could be used to tackle questions generally.

For example, my understanding from this answer is that investors investing in non-cyclical industries are typically risk averse and, being risk averse would prefer higher running yields than capital appreciation. From this, one would gather that if I faced another question involving analysis of an industry, I can think of the industry itself, the investors, and the nature of returns on the securities in one go.

This could mean that I could secure 3 marks right off the bat if I am asked a similar question.

3. Re-read anything which I have forgotten if I dropped marks on a pure recall question.

For example, I need to re-read the section regarding limitations of historical cost accounting because I forgot about some of them.

Queries:
    1. I wonder if there is something else I need to do for reflecting upon a question I did? In particular, is there any other questions I need to ask myself and work through so that I get the best out of these exams?
    2. If I find systemic issues in recall questions, how long should I spend on pure revision of the problematic topic before I jump back on the past exam bandwagon? I am a little concerned that, if I revise it too quickly, I may forget again.

Thanks for any help!

2. bystander

bystander Member

Some good tactics here especially number 1. You don't mention which subject you are doing, but given your example it seems a 'wordy' rather than mathematical ones.

It seems you are self marking. If you haven't had any independent feedback eg in assignments being marked, I thoroughly recommend a marked mock and do it under strict conditions in no support methods and full time conditions ( including reading time). Timing is important.

You mention rereading. That is a passive activity. Set yourself little tests and force yourself to write down the bits you have difficulty recollecting. Recall questions like definitions and other pure test of memory are easy marks. You need to be able to gobble them up quickly because others will.

As well as identifying weaker topics, look at what types of question you are weaker on. Eh is it state or describe - the instruction verb.

You know your own memory issues. Let this guide your time tabling. No 2 people are alike.

And the more papers the better though beware changing syllabus on early papers.

3. Jinnentonix

Jinnentonix Member

Thanks for the tips!

I'm working on CT2 at the moment and I suspect the approach could be transferable to other wordy subjects.

Did you have a good experience with Mock Marking? If so, how was it helpful?

4. bystander

bystander Member

What you get from marking depends on which course and how you studied. But some generic pros and cons in no particular order
    1. In maths orientated papers it's relatively easy to mark your own but if you went wrong you may be unsure how many marks you may have got. A marker will give you some credit and it's useful to see that.
    2. A marker will help you see where you went wrong and add explanations which can be a lightbulb moment in revision aid.
    3. You can always read your own writing. Fresh eyes gives a view on layout and legibility from an independent view. You need to make examiners job as easy as possible and knowing how is good.
    4. It's expensive if you are self funding so if you've had other marking this session maybe not for you.
    5. Marking is time bound in that there is a cutoff for submission. Do it as early as possible. Near a deadline lots submit and there may a slightly slower turnaround.
    6. Great for extra questions which is important if it's not a first attempt.
    7. Markers try to encourage. Remember they see loads of scripts so may comment on where you are. They aren't there just to criticise. They are constructive on tips eg if you misread a question what was the key in the question.
    You have to decide yourself. Obviously Acted aren't examiners but they try to make papers as realistic as possible. I'd say try one then you can assess how useful they are to YOU. It's different for everyone what works and doesn't.
    Good luck!

Jinnentonix likes this.
  5. Jinnentonix

Jinnentonix Member

Thanks very much for your tips!