How much study / revision for CT1

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by jonnyw, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jonnyw

jonnyw Member

I'm looking to self study for my CT1 qualification, whilst also studying 4 A-Level modules (to simultaneously bring up my UCAS points, and show potential employers I have some ability at least!). The plan is to take CT1 in September, and the A-Level's in January.

In trying to come up with a studying and revision plan, I was wondering how much study and revision time is required to learn the CT1 content, and then prepare for the exam.

Whilst I know everyone is different, I'd be interested to know how long it has taken (or is taking) others (on a daily or weekly basis).

On a side note, it the entire (pure core) A-Level content a prerequisite (or co-requisite)? Again, I'm just trying to plan the order I need to study things, and the time to put in.

2. bystander

bystander Member

Not quite sure where in your career you are. Anyhow, here is the link about eligibility for membership
    http://www.actuaries.org.uk/students/pages/how-register-student

You will see they ask for B in maths at A'level if you don't have a degree, but generally speaking, most entrants these days are graduates.

But you can sit CT1 without membership as you know.

I'd say what crops up most is calculus ie integration/differentiation, and summing geometric progressions.

As for hours there are institute recommendations:

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/research-and-resources/documents/suggested-study-hours-and-pattern

basically its 125 - 150 hours spread over the session.

Hope this helps

3. mattt78

mattt78 Member

CT1 study

Sounds ambitious jonnyw - I'm sure any employer would be impressed by your organisation effort!

I think Acted suggests 125-150 hours study time for each CT exam, which seems about right to me, depending on your ability level, and speed of reading/learning. Perhaps its a bit on the low side if you want to really prepare thoroughly though, and do all the Q&As, assignments and some past papers, but if you do 150 hours of genuine work, i'd expect to pass.

Its a few years since I did CT1, but I don't think your A-levels will help much to be honest - perhaps someone else could confirm - but I wouldn't worry about pre-requisite knowledge.

Goodluck with it all!

4. jonnyw

jonnyw Member

Many thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the links too. I was sure I'd read the amount of time required previously, but couldn't for the life of me find it last night! (Unfortunately I don't currently meet the eligibility requirements)

I too think it's ambitious, but hope as mentioned it will hopefully show potential employers that I'm serious (and able).

I know integration and differentiation come up in the A-Level, so may do some A-Level study in advance, and then alongside the CT1 studying.

I'd better get on with it!