How much sleep do we aspiring actuaries need?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Goku, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Goku

Goku Member

Hi all,

Recently I've been reading many an article on getting a good night's sleep and was therefore wondering what you guys think, given that we are actuarial students.

Whilst on this topic, what do your'll think of studying in the morning for an hour and later on in the evening (after a day's work) for an hour? I find that under this pattern, I can cover about 10-15 pages (80% in theory, 20% in examples) a day, mostly by sacrificing an hour's worth of some good
    shut-eye!

Eargerly awaiting your replies.

Goku

2. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I can't study in the evening beacuase my housemates are watching tv and i can't help but get sucked in to some stupid tv show.

3. Goku

Goku Member

Hey guys, I've just read your'lls reply!!! What, like after 1.5 years...

Well, I've changed jobs, and location as well. Now, I can study better at night for an hour after 9pm, and in the morning for maybe 2 working days a week. My only weakness is football, if my team is playing, I'll need to have a very good reason for not watching. Other than that, I don't watch T.V, so I can study whenever I'm required to. I also got a lot of work done in the happy hours namely Friday nights and Sat nights (when the muggles go out for family dinners, movies, parties etc).

Hope your'll weren't waiting long for feedback!

4. capitalH

capitalH Member

I try not to sacrifice sleep - rather 1 hour good quality studying than 2 hours bad quality.

I get up a bit earlier, leave home earlier, find a quiet spot at the office and study a bit (miss traffic then as well, which is also good).

5. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

I study on the tube on the way to work!

Usually find I'm too tired in the evenings to study, especially if working late, so it's usually my weekends which are dedicated to studying.

Agree with earlier comment about quality, not quantity... no point sitting there reading stuff for 4-5 hours if most of it isn't even going in!

6. anon2

anon2 Member

I study on the tube too, in the run-up to exams.

Unfortunately that amounts to just 12 minutes per day. :D