How does one attempt Questions?

Discussion in 'CA1' started by SpringbokSupporter, Jun 20, 2008.

1. I am trying to find a technique of attempting past questions. Whenever I attempt a question, the answer that I produce is always different to the solution. This can be quite disheartening, especially when you think that you have produced a good answer. In previous sessions, I resorted to trying to cram the solutions but this strategy clearly didn't work.

Can anyone recommend a better method of attempting past questions?

Also how do markers mark scripts? How do they judge how close an answer is to the model solution

2. bystander

bystander Member

Trick seems to be be precise with terminology.

Mortality not death rates. Yes this is an obvious example but using the right word inspires confidence if you get on the borderline pile.

To check out how your words pick up marks, have you had any marking done by ActEd. OK they are not examiners but have experience about the judgemental issues you mention so they may have some inspiration for you.

One thing is for sure, your script will never marry verbatim! And yes there is scope for something you write to get a mark.

3. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I think you'll find most people will be in the same boat when they first start tackling CA1 exam questions. It is depressing to write out a long answer to find that you've only scored 2 out of 10 say. Rather than trying to learn the answers to questions, a better trick is this:

Look at the examiners' solution. Now go back to the question. What word or phrase is it in the question that should have lead you to a certain part of the solution? Start jotting down these word association ideas. As you attempt more questions, add to this list. You will eventually end up with a comprehensive set of links that will help in many questions.

For example: CA1 Paper 2 April 2006 Q4

A director of a company is negotiating a financial settlement on divorce. The director is to retain his accrued pension rights but their value is to be taken into account in the financial settlement. An expert witness is providing independent advice on a suitable value of the director s final salary pension for this purpose.

(i) Discuss the factors that will influence the advice to be given. [6]

The solution talks about impartial advice. What was the clue in the question? The words "expert witness" or "independent" in the question.

The solution talks a lot about assumptions. What was the clue in the question? The words "value" or "factors".

The solution talks about fairness to both parties and a best estimate basis. What was the clue in the question? The words "independent", "divorce" = two parties = need to be fair.

The solution talks about special benefits. What was the clue in the question? The word "director".

Good luck!

Anna

4. Thanks, I think this strategy will help. In the CT's when you get a tough question correct it inspires you and gives you a lot more confidence. When I do CA1 questions I sometimes feel that the questions are arbitrary and can't make the link to the notes. They sometimes feel like general knowledge questions and I answer by writing down my own ideas (most of which are not in the notes)

5. calibre2001

calibre2001 Member

Another approach is to practice plenty of old 300 paper questions (well, only the ones relevant to CA1). After a while, you'll begin to notice patterns in the answers.

For example, when explaining about the advantage of diversification , you'll notice phrases like 'reducing short term volatility' and 'reducing risk of long term underperformance' popping out all in answers related to diversification.

However, do note that CA1 has questions that break away from this tradition of recycling old 300 questions.

Running through the relevant ST material helps. I've seen questions on rating factors asked in CA1 and can't understand why it's not included in the core reading. It's a common question in ST3, meaning it puts students who don't touch ST3 at all at some disadvantage.

Or you could start with the ST papers first instead. They do IMO prepare a student better for CA1 since the quality of answers expected in CA1 is of ST standard.

6. Cymro Card

Cymro Card Member

Go on a tutorial! *plugs ActEd* They'll give you hints and techniques that you need to get through the later exams. And given the large % of FAs these things do make a difference! (I'll take my commission now, ta!)

7. kidstyx

kidstyx Member

i have a nice tip, but i'm not gonna say it because it just reduces my chance of passing :D