1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you study for a PM?

Discussion in 'Practice modules' started by Chapati, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Chapati

Chapati Member

I qualified quite a while ago, and never did my Practice Module (for various reasons, partly because previous e'er didn't sponsor it).

I'm having to do it now for my new job. Have ordered all the notes and am reading through them all, but to be honest I am not sure whether my time is being well-spent as the questions seem really specific and it feels like it'll take quite a lot of work to learn the material in that much detail. I'm not sure how to study for it...perhaps I am just really out of practice!

I've heard a lot of students just 'wing it' but it doesn't seem like the kind of exam where you can do that.

Any suggestions?

2. Pede

Pede Member

3. Chapati

Chapati Member

OK, thanks...I'll read the notes and test myself with those questions. If you have any other tips please let me know :)

4. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The profession doesnt release many past papers to get a feel for what the exam looks like. Our practice modcule booklets were designed around the questions that we had at the time, but it would be good to know from someone who sat the exam whether they are too detailed, too easy, too numerical .... My guess, knowing the generic material as I do, is that the questions are probably about right, and that it would be difficult to "wing" this one.

5. Chapati

Chapati Member

Thanks Colin

The general consensus from the small informal survey was that they are at about the right level of detail though the questions are worded differently.

The small informal survey also had a consensus of "I just stayed up the night before reading the notes through once and it was easy", but I don't think that strategy is going to work for me.

I strongly recommend students sit this module at the same time as the relevant SA if they can, its hard to get back into it afterwards!

6. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Thanks for your feedback - very useful (for other students, as well as ActEd).

Colin