How do study ST9

Discussion in 'SP9' started by b_colgan, Mar 31, 2011.

1. b_colgan

b_colgan Member

I'm trying to find out how best to study ST9. Did people follow the ActEd study guide or the alternative study guide (reading Lam first and then Chapman). Any pointers gratefully received!

2. Esther

Esther Member

I used a mixed approach, I first followed the ActEd recommendation and then read Lam from cover to cover on travel. Lam is easy to read and it gives an overview, reading it first is quite useful. Reading Chapman from cover to cover might be harder, and I don't see the benefit. - Cheers, Esther

3. beyers

beyers Member

Hi, I decided to make notes according to the Acted chapters. So for each chapter i incorporate notes from all the sources. Then in the end I have one reference to work from.

4. 14099

14099 Member

I've only just got the ST9 CMP (studying for September '12, not April). On p.18 of the study guide it suggests reading Lam from cover to cover to get a good overview of the course. This is what I'm planning to do. But it then goes on to suggest that Lam can be read in a couple of hours. 300+ pages in a couple of hours? Some mistake surely.

5. Avi0013

Avi0013 Member

I guess that means that my just getting the material last week and planning on sitting in April is going to bring down the curve :eek:

For what it's worth, I'm a US FCAS planning on sitting for ST-9 to fulfill the requirements for the CAS CERA, so I'm not that optimistic :)

6. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Perhaps we were a little optimistic! We have updated the Study Guide to say "a few hours". It really is worth simply reading through Lam fairly quickly (don't worry about making notes etc at this stage).