How difficult CT courses for non-science background students?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Shah Kamal, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Shah Kamal

Shah Kamal Member

Could anyone pls reply on subject?

2. Hamilton

Hamilton Member

science isnt the issue

maths is!! ct2 , ct7 have no math so it doesn't matter your background , if you can read then you can do those exams , ct1 is not the hardest math you will ever see but all the rest require a decent knowledge of stats ( i dont know bout ct8 but i think there is a fair bit of math in it ) after that there is less math but harder exams.
    I would ask if you have no math background why on earth would you want to become an actuary? A career that is more mathematical than basically any other job.

3. Goku

Goku Member

Hey Kamal,

The CT's are 80% based on technical skills (hence the name ;)

And it's quite hairy stuff hey: CT4, CT5, CT6 use a fair deal of math (algebra, calculus) and stat's (applied stats, prob theory and random processes). CT8 is just financial maths with loads of calculus.

If you can grasp and remember the mathematical/statistical principals well enough from the earlier maths/stats exams, I see no reason for not giving it a go! My friend, who works in a health-care actuarial firm, said one of the doctors whom he's working with wants to start taking exams (!!). If they can do it, I'd say anybody can ;)

Let us know what your final answer is (keeping to the theme of Slumdog Millionaire!)

Cheers!

4. Shah Kamal

Shah Kamal Member

CT courses for non-science background students

Thanks for the comments. I did maths/stats in my earlier BBA exams (200 marks in math & 200 marks in stat) and got A grade but those were oriented to business purposes. But I love maths/ stats. I also know the formulas needed in finance during my study in advance finance courses.

So far, i can remind my math/stat courses very well. Just wanted to know the whole picture about math/stat knowledge (i.e. areas where deeper knowledge is required) for CT courses.

Cheers!

5. Alpha9

Alpha9 Member

Sounds to me like you've got a more than adequate grounding in maths.

I didn't do statistics at all until I joined the profession - it had never made sense to me, and I had managed to avoid it at both A-level and (maths) degree level - I just didn't "get it". However, I found that I suddenly "got it" once I started the professional exams, perhaps because of the way it was taught. (Not that I understand everything now, by a long stretch, but I think I can see what the point is, which I couldn't before.)

You still need to be able to do the calculus, and think logically, for the "mathsy" subjects. The problem with the later subjects isn't maths at all: it's learning basic concepts, applying them to practical situations, learning lists, and interpreting from the question what the examiner is asking.

Good luck!