How did you find it?

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Jonny, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Jonny

Jonny Member

How did everyone find the exam, i found it a bit of a mixed bag. 1-5 ok 6,7,8 bit iffy and the larger questions were do-able.

2. Benny

Benny Member

Could've been worse - going to be there or thereabouts I think.

Q1 - Credibility factors - Bit of head scratching at first, but I didn't really like any of the options. Option A was the best as Z increased with an decrease in sample variance. The others didn't include s at all.

Q2 - General form of run off triangle - Easy 5 marks

Q3 - Bayes' criterion - Another easy 6 marks

Q4 - Posterior distribution - doable, but I messed up solving the parameters of the beta distribution. I ended up with lamba being 3/25 I think. I completed the rest of the question using the values I'd calculated and am hoping for method marks here.

Q5 - Run off triangle - More easy marks

Q6 - ARCH model - Bit of a bummer, that. Didn't even have a scooby. I wrote down some mess about covariances but I don't suppose any examiner in the land will be impressed. 8 marks lost.

Q7 - Monte Carlo simulation - but not as we know it. Didn't know what to do at all, wrote some more mess down, calculated theta to be e - 1 anyway. I didn't have any idea how to link the uniform distribution to theta. Another 7 marks lost I suspect.

Q8 - Ruin theory - just used a binomial tree, easiest ruin theory question I ever saw! Don't see why I shouldn't get all 10 marks here.

Q9 - NCD - I messed up simultaneous equations again. Got pretty close but I'm too stupid to solve them when you give me p, 1-p rather than actual numbers. I got most of the way though, and for part (b) I used my assumed values so I should pick up those marks. Hoping for 7 out of 10 here.

Q10 - Time series - I wasn't strong on the topic. I had a guess at part (a) (ARMA (2,1) anyone?) with some vague reasons. The next parts I could work out the yule-walker equations easily enough, then I tried to substitute in the values from the sample - is this right? Actually I didn't finish the simultaneous eqns for the AR(2) model - didn't have time so I wrote down what my method would've been. Fingers crossed! Then I wrote down the tests that are in the formula book - portmanteau and the other one. I suggested doing a correllelogram too, just because why not?

Q11 - The Long One -
    Part (a) - compared the moment generating function replacing lambda with lambda prime = lambda / k. Seemed to work pretty well.
    Part (b) - I got somewhere pretty close to the likelihood function but I managed not to have n in the numerator. The method was there, likelihood, differentiate, solve to zero for lamba. Didn't differentiate again to check it was a maximum though! D'oh!!
    Part (c) - stuck the figures into the equation, got lamba = 0.0005 I think.
    Part (d) - Was this a separate part? Anyway I calculated the expected loss per claim to the insurer in 2006. integrate x(f)x from 0 to 1600 and then 1600 times the probability that x >1600. Came to about 1101 ish. Then ran out of time to calculate the new retention limit. Wrote down my method again though - solve the same equations replacing 1600 with M', setting the sum equal to 1101 ish.

All in all, I think I'll get a mark in mid to high 50s. I hope the rest of you found it an impossibly tough paper and they'll reduce the pass mark!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  3. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

I was happy with the exam, it wasn't as bad as some of the past papers i'd seen!

All in all, I could've managed my time better. i think I spent too much time going over some tricky algebra (calculating alpha & lamda in the beta distribution, getting all those 1 - p + p^2 correct in Q9) and didn't finish the whole thing.

Q1 - Credibility factors - Option A was the best as Z -> 1 as N -> infinity. None of the others did that.

Q2 - General form of run off triangle - Easy 5 marks

Q3 - Bayes' criterion - Another easy 6 marks

Q4 - Posterior distribution - doable, but I spent way too much time calculating alpha and lambda of the beta distribution & didn't have enough time for some other questions.

Q5 - Run off triangle - BF method - thank goodness it wasn't BF + inflation. Pretty standard question.

Q6 - ARCH model - Ridiculously hard, boo.

Q7 - Monte Carlo simulation - no idea what was going on here

Q8 - Ruin theory - did half of this question

Q9 - NCD - I messed up simultaneous equations again. Pretty sure I got full marks (despite the algebra being a lot harder when you're just using p)

Q10 - Time series - wrote down Yule Walker equations, had a shot at it but nothing great.

Q11 - The Long One -
    Part (a) - easy, I used the substitution y = kx.
    Part (b) - Got the likelihood function & differentiated to check for maximum, yay.
    Part (c) - stuck the figures into the equation,
    Part (d) - did not finish, I did start it though.

4. reesera11

reesera11 Member

CT6 Exam

In response to miss aussie's reply. I pretty much found exactly the same as you did! Does anyone know what the pass mark for the exam would be around? I think im going to be borderline, fingers crossed!!

5. Ricegirl

Ricegirl Member

I thought the paper was quite fair and much better than the last one I sat last Sept. There were a few non-standard questions, as always, that i'm hoping everyone struggled with like the ARCH question and the Monte Carlo one (what was all that about?!). I do feel a tad unlucky though - ARCH hasn't been tested before last Sept and has now appeared twice - on the 2 papers that I sat! I thought it was bound to not come up again so soon so hadn't looked at it, but to be honest, I doubt the notes would have helped as it was more of an application question.

I thought the marks were a bit too heavily weighted on the 2 big questions at the end though. The time series one wasn't too bad (assuming what I did was right!), but I found the last question pretty tough. Didn't quite manage to get the likelihood formula (I reckon if you did get it, you've got a good chance of passing), but carried on anyway with the rest of the question (although I couldn't really do it - I knew what should be done, just got myself in a mess under the time pressure).

Still, all in all it could have been worse!:) Just hope i've passed it this time as the thought of studying it again is not pleasant!