How can I nail it this April?

Discussion in 'CA3' started by michaelteang, Feb 24, 2007.

1. michaelteang

michaelteang Member

NEED HELP!!!!

Have failed this 6 times - FB FA FA FB FA FB

What should I do to pass it????

How can I make sure I'll be the top one third of the people who sit this exam to secure a pass?

2. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

Given that you failed it so many times, you should know by now what your weaknesses are.

I think the reason why people who fail this exam cocnsistently is because they are unfaimliar whith the topic being communicated. Threrefore, it becomes very easy to fall into the trap of talking about things that are not relevant or are too technical.

Analyse the past exam questions and ActEd questions by topic and see what issues are contained in the answers. You should then practice commenting on these issues in your own words.

You should check your anwers carefully to see whether there is anything that's technically incorrect.

Apparently the Chinese version of the exam has a much higher pass rate. If you are proficient in Chinese, it maybe a good alternative.

Good luck.

3. bystander

bystander Member

This seems an all too familiar story.

Are you sure you are picking up the easy marks like things for spelling, grammar and format. Even omitting a date can be the difference FA to pass. So do check the script in the final minutes.

If it's a question in your own field, beware going beyond the question. It's not testing subject knowledge.

Keep any maths simple. No more than +/-/*/.

Monitor length. It will tell you if your are in the ball-park. Too short? You missed something. Too long and you're going off course or too deep.

But just go in confident and give it your best shot. A positive attitude can help.

Good luck

4. FatSam

FatSam Member

I feel your pain man!
    I too have failed this exam 5 times! Been for exam counselling 3 times too!
    No clue how to pass this exam and now its pretty much my last one left besides the fellowship. Just hit it and hope thats what I am going to do....

5. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

The thing that really helped me was a suggestion to consider writing all my letters to my Mum! Sounds stupid, I know, but it really gets you thinking about communicating with non-actuarial people. Plus, my Mum is the sort of person who'll interrupt you mid-sentence to ask a question. So maybe I've grown up with the knack of phrasing stuff so simply that not even she could question it!

It helped me pass. Good luck for your next attempt, try and forget that it is an actuarial exam and just write a simple, clear letter to Mummy.:D

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Do you have these stats to share?

7. Do you know at Imperial, they boast about a 95% exemption rate...What is the forums opinion about the Imperial CA3
    https://www.acted.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/ca3-at-imperial.13672/

8. almost_there

almost_there Member

I expect that being given 3 months rather than 1 hour 45 minutes would have a major impact on the pass rates :mad: