holding times

Discussion in 'CT4' started by floydeon, Sep 10, 2007.

1. floydeon

floydeon Member

Please can someone explain the mathematical definition given for the residual holding time in the CR. {R_s>w,X_s=i}={X_u=i,s<u<s+w}. I understand the concept but the definition given seems a bit confusing.

Also would i be correct in saying that the current holding time plus the residual holding time has an exponential distribution in a time-homogeneous Markov jump process since it is simply the total holding time?

2. Goku

Goku Member

Cool

3. floydeon

floydeon Member

thanks goku..you must be a super saiyan when it comes to CT4. that does make sense although i would be happier if the definition was {R_s=w,X_s=i}={X_u=i,s<u<s+w}, but sure its not worth getting upset about.

4. Goku

Goku Member

Gee thanks Floydeon, however I very much doubt I'll ever reach that level! Anyway, as regards your preference "{R_s=w,X_s=i}={X_u=i,s<u<s+w}", from my understanding of statistics and probability, that event occurs with probability zero. Well, it's because R_s has a continuous state space and therefore has a corresponding probability density function associated to it. Kinda like how f(x) is a density for a Normal distribution. So if indeed we wanted to find P[X = a] in this case, we would have to integrate the pdf from a to a, which is just zero.

However a discrete distribution is associated with a probability mass function and is characterized by a 'jumping' non-continuous distribution. An example of that is N(t) where N(t) is Poi(lambda*t). Hence it is permissible to write and speak of P[N(t) = a].

So to conclude, to have X_u = i, s<u<s+w, we require the event {R_s > w,X_s=i} to occur.

Hope that answers you query.

Ka-me-ha-me-ha!