Help

Discussion in 'CT3' started by kartik_newpro, Jul 6, 2011.

1. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Hi everyone. I have no idea why am I writing this. I know this forums are used to ask doubts.

Apparently I am finding CT3 a little too tough to handle. I am not able to solve even developmental problems from the Q & A Bank. Mathematics was the only subject I was ever proud of in school and college. But I end up confused on every problem. I do understand the concepts, their derivation and purpose. But I am not able to apply them. I feel very stupid and ashamed writing this.

I just want to know where am I going wrong. Should I quit?:(

2. mattt78

mattt78 Member

CT3 confusion

its not unusual to find CT3 really tough if you haven't studied stats before, so i wouldn't be too disheartened.

i did maths and physics at uni, but never did any stats, and was utterly perplexed by CT3 at first, far more than any other subject. It just took quite a while to sink in, and then i realised the exam isn't so bad (they tend to ask the same sorts of things in most exams) and the pass mark is obviously pretty low, because the pass rate is usually very high.

it's probably worth pointing out that that if you can get through CT3 there isn't much more serious stats in the rest of the exams. There's a bit in CT6, but its not too bad, and after the CTs there isn't really any (in CA1, ST7, ST8which i've done at least).

3. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Thanks Matt. That was encouraging for me. But I dont wanna be the student who just "got through" exams.

I lack the intuitive approach towards problems. Maybe a lot of practice is the answer to that. I am ready to give it as much time as it demands. Can you suggest anything that would help me? How did YOU do it?

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

If it is a stats issue then I really do recommend the Stats Pack (and not just 'cos I wrote it!). Written to help fill in the gaps for students who just haven't got a stats background. More information (including sample pages) can be found here.

5. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Oh! You wrote Stats Pack?? I didnt know that. I'm a big fan John! I have done the whole Stats Pack. Loved it!!

And its not just stats, calculus or algebra. Its the application of those. For example, I am sure you have looked at May 2011 CT3 paper. All the questions are the intuitive types unlike previous exams and that is my weak point.

Practice is the answer I guess.

6. Knowslian

Knowslian Member

Same boat.

I feel the same way pal, so you're not alone.

I can answer most of the questions per chapter; but come Q&A or assignments, I struggle to start the question let alone get the answer.

I'm studying CT1 and have the same issue, get to Q&A and either can't answer (start) the questions, or mis-interpret it. I guess it isn't a understanding issue, otherwise I wouldn't be able to answer the questions in each chapter, right?

7. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Yeah thats the problem. Nice to know I am not alone ;)

I come from a non-mathematical background, which acts as a big disadvantage. The only reason I took up actuarial science is because I loved mathematics at school. By the way, there has been minor improvements in my problem solving skills since I posted this thread. Anyway thanks a lot. Best of Luck!

8. bystander

bystander Member

Not sure if this is helpful but how many times do you read the question before starting? If you go the wrong route, make sure you read the question at least twice before diving in.

Bring together the key data you are given eg do you know what distribution you are working with? Do you have the parameters? If not, what do you have to derive them.

Do the calculation bits and say what you are doing briefly. Leaving an audit trail can help pick up some marks if you arithmetically get lost.

Know whats in the formulae book to help you.

Above all, stay calm and positive.

In any exam there will be tricky questions where the majority of folks struggle. But don't skip them. Missing qns out won't help prove you are worthy of a pass.

And yes.... there is no substitute for solid exam revision and practise UNDER TIME PRESSURE.

You sound a bit of a perfectionist. You do just need solid attempts at all bits of the paper. Its not true you need 100% on everything and lets face it, even if you got it, nobody ever knows as its simply pass/fail (OK they grade the fails but thats not in the public domain).

Plough on.

9. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

You are quite right. I usually face problems in solving when the proofs involve mathematical methods. For example, if a part of a proof involves recognizing a certain expression to be a geometric series or manipulating an integral to be equal to one,etc. Of course I cant blame this on CT3.

10. bystander

bystander Member

If its integration etc, all I can suggest is buy an A'level textbook and brush up on the techniques.