Help!

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Avantgarde, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Avantgarde

Avantgarde Member

This is my first IOA exam and the last for attaining Associateship from Society of Actuaries as I have passed all other exams for ASA..

Could you please help me on the following:

1. SOA doesn't test too lengthy & difficult integrations. I am wondering whether we encounter such integrations in actual IOA exams.

2. Do we get derivations in CT6?

3. What is the proportion of theory and numericals in CT6 exam?

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. bystander

bystander Member

I think your best bet will be to look at past papers on the Institutes website.

What some people believe to be difficult integration others find easy. So by looking at the past qns you will be able to assess the degree of difficulty with the full knowledge of your own preferences/skills.

3. Hamilton

Hamilton Member

preety sure

most of the integration on the paper is the reinsurance question , and if its the normal distribution you wont be able to hand integrate it so we are given the formulas for the cdf and all ya gotta do is plug in limits . Best bet is to go through the exam papers like was already said . for the no claims discount question you sometimes have to work probabilities from a pdf of claim sizes by integration (pretty easy), some also in the ruin theory question ,which i suppose would be the hardest integration you might have to do . If you are comfortable with doing the exponential , the weibull and pareto cant see any others that might come up.

4. Michael

Michael Member

I remember there being quite a bit of complicated integration in the exams, particularly for the reinsurance questions. Maybe it just seemed like a lot to me because I didn't like doing it much. You definitely need to be able to do integration by parts, the formula for this is given in the tables.