Help with answering Questions

Discussion in 'CA1' started by nish44, Nov 1, 2006.

1. nish44

nish44 Member

Hello All

I just got back my X1 assignment and achieved a mark of 39% - which I was disappointed with. The marker wrote 'don't be too disheartened with your mark' as her opening comment!!

I was wondering how best to answer questions for CA1.

Questions asking you to list things are quite self-explanatory. But what about when a question says 'Discuss....' or 'Explain....'

Also, I have been writing my answers in prose, but can I use disjointed sentences or bullet points? This wasn't hinted at by the marker.

My main problem seemed to be generating too few points, but other times I missed what the 'answer' was - even though I feel what I wrote was valid. :confused:

Anyway. Good luck everyone. Just keep pluggin away at it, there are only a finite number of chapters.....................

2. Kail

Kail Member

Answers

Hi there. There are answers to all your questions and I will come back to you if nobody else answers them. A big consideration for you would be to attend the tutorials - all these and more are printed into your memory and is really helpful.

Still at work so do not have my notes but as I said, could come back to you.

CA1 is not impossible at all. Having said that, waiting on my results on the 1st! :eek:

3. dan101

dan101 Member

Answering CA1 questions....

Hi nish44,

Firstly, my X1 score was 42% which I too was disappointed with (easily my lowest assignment score). I found that this was due to not knowing how to answer the questions, rather than not knowing the material. I've now completed a couple more assignments, with (slowly) increasing scores, so I think that practice does help.

I always answer questions using bulleted lists, with key words underlined. I try to make it easier for the marker to give me points, by dividing my test into "point-like" chunks. I think this is totally acceptable. It helps you structure your answer, check you've given enough points for the marks available (one point = 1/2 mark usually) and that you've covered all the main areas of the question.

I'm also struggling on occasion to see exactly what the question is after. I've done one or two where I was *confident* I understood and had answered what was asked, only to score poorly. Unfortunately I suspect this skill will only come with practice. I'm hoping that I'll begin to see the same sorts of questions come up repeatedly, or at least keywords that trigger certain types of answers.

I hope this was of some use. Unfortunately CA1 seems to be an ordeal to be endured rather than enjoyed...

4. bystander

bystander Member

Firstly, the marker is right to say don't be disappointed. I guess this is your first exam beyond the CTs and there is a big difference. You are now on the subjects where you need to apply knowledge. It's how you say things, not getting a 'right' numerical answer.

You quite often need to expand your answer. The level of detail depends on the verb. Discuss tends to imply you are looking at the issue from different angles/scenarios and is often with a pros/cons type of qn. Explain is often more a justify type qn. A qn may be asking you to give the answer interest rate. That may get you the first 1/2 mark. Then its a case of saying if high this happens otherwise if low that happens'. So highlightlighting the key word interest is a good technique. But follow-up depending on the verb.

Other tricks lie in other words. Is the company BIG, NEW, etc. So pay attention to these adjectives.

Time is precious so bullets often work and should hoover up marks towards the end of the exam, even if it isn't a list qn. It's better than getting only 1 point down and embedded it in a long sentence. Stick to short sentences, and write concisely. Avoid repetition. These are good hints.

Overall, you've done the right thing. It is vital to get feedback from markers. But ensure you study the solutions. Start a list of the points you miss and make sure you use these when it comes to revision. Prcatise is the key: finish in time to look at past papers carefully.

I think ActEd publish a distriubution of marks per subject assignment and that will give you extra comfort of whether you are 'in with the pack'. If you can get 70% unaided, you're probably ahead of the game. But forget the days of 90%+ from the CTs. It doesn't happen unless you crib from notes/solutions! For now, it's a learning curve.

Good luck!