Help on ST8

Discussion in 'SP8' started by penny84, Jan 13, 2011.

1. penny84

penny84 Member

I not working in GI, but would like to take ST8 in this April - could I check how much CT6 knowledge do I need in order to prepare for the ST8 exam?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Duncan Brydon

Duncan Brydon ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I think you can understand most of the ST8 material on its own without needing to refer back to CT6. Subject CT6 covers some of the mathematical methods underlying general insurance but the focus of ST8 is much more practical. If you want to read more about the mathematics alluded to in ST8 then the chapter on GLMs (CT6 Chapter 10) and the sections on the collective risk model and individual risk model (in CT6 Chapters 7 and 8) are perhaps the most useful. As you don’t work in GI (and are also taking ST7) I’d also point you to Chapter 11 of CT6 on run-off triangles because the methods described there are pretty fundamental to a lot of GI work.

For completeness I should add that, officially, all the material from the CTs is potentially examinable in the later subjects, including ST8. However, it is best to concentrate on what is probable and you will see if you look at past ST8 papers (and ST3 papers before) that mathematics is not the focus.

I hope this helps
    Duncan

3. penny84

penny84 Member

many thanks for your help Duncan:)