Hated my first job. Does it get any more interesting?

Discussion in 'Careers' started by roro1990, Feb 8, 2015.

1. roro1990

roro1990 Member

So I graduated from college last May and got a job in June for 6 months. It was valuing pension schemes. I found it extremely boring although the pay was really good. I was going into work dreading it everyday. The work was very repetitive and involved the use of really basic things like copying and pasting tables into excel and running queries on access.

Being honest, I never really enjoyed my degree in actuarial studies. Some of it was interesting in fairness but my immature self picked actuary mainly for the money. I'm decent at maths but not a maths wizard like so many other people who set out to be actuaries.

I guess i'm wondering is it common to dislike your first job out of college? I feel kind of stuck in limbo between trying out a different job in the actuarial field or heading off to somewhere like Australia for a year to try different work. An advice would be appreciated

2. bystander

bystander Member

I sometimes think that doing actuarial science can leave you with this feeling. In a first role, you don't get the 'exciting' work to do, whatever field you go into because you have to get some practical experience as opposed to theoretical knowledge. Also it was a six month role so this can also restrict what work can be assigned to you.

It may not be the role. It may be the company. Consultancies and life/offices do have a different vibe to them. So maybe that needs more consideration. But dreading going to work at this stage is a sign of trouble.

You are allowed one mistake, but before your next move clear your thinking. What do you enjoy and feel motivated by to spend at least 7 hours a day working on long term.

If you decide to go abroad, that can open opportunities and do not feel you have lost. You now have practical experience to offer.

Lots of careful soul searching needed. Don't do anything hasty.

3. maz1987

maz1987 Member

Junior work at a pensions firm is not renowned for being particularly exciting!

Have a look at what more senior people in the team do: does this seem interesting? If so, then maybe you need to stick it out until you can move up the pecking order a little.

Also consider general insurance (specifically, London Market if you can get it), as I consider this to be the most interactive and varied field of actuarial work. This work is focussed on non-life insurance, and I have had the pleasure of enjoying pretty much every day of my career thus far!