Guide on paper B?

Discussion in 'CS2' started by Nolasko, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Nolasko

Nolasko Keen member

Hi acted tutors,
    Are there any guidelines on how the answer format of the paper B exam should be?

For practice, I've been only copy pasting my code from the script region of the rstudio directly into a word document. Should I copying the code from the execute region of rstudio? Should I also be copy pasting plots too?

Please help,
    N

2. Andrew Martin

Andrew Martin ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hello

Copy your code and output into the Word file. Don't only copy you code. For example, if the question asks you to calculate a probability, copy the code that you used to do this in R as well as the actual probability output as your answer. If your output contains multiple components or numbers (say an entire transition-probability matrix) but only one of them is your answer, then make it clear what your answer is. Either go back and write code to pick out a specific part or number or write a comment indicating what your actual answer is along with any explanation required.

EDIT: Just to reiterate this point. The guidance for CS1 (so I imagine is the same for CS2) is to ensure you separately state your answer. So even if your answer is the only part of the R output, make sure you state what you answer is separately. See below:

When a question requires a particular numerical answer or conclusion, candidates MUST explicitly and clearly state this in the Word document, separately from, and in addition to the R output that contains the relevant numerical information. Please note that failure to include a separate answer or conclusion will result in full credit not being given.

END EDIT

One way to copy your code and output together is to copy from the console (bottom left of RStudio by default). This is what I imagine you're referring to as the execute region of RStudio. The console contains the code that you've ran as well as the output.

You should also be copying plots into the Word document. There are many ways to do this, I give a couple below:

1. Press the 'zoom' button above the plot. This opens a new window and you can now right click the graph in the window and press copy. You should now be able to paste into Word with CNTRL + V

2. Press 'Export' above the plot and the press 'copy to clipboard'. This again opens a new window. You can now press 'copy chart' or right click and copy it.

3. You can always use a print screen / the snipping tool to do a screen grab if you need to.

Hope this helps

Andy

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Nolasko and bapan like this.
  3. Andrew Martin

Andrew Martin ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hello

Just to point out that you should also have received information in your exam instructions email from the IFoA on how to complete your answer booklet.

All the best

Andy

Nolasko likes this.
  4. Nolasko

Nolasko Keen member

Thank you! very helpful! I forgot that I read it when I received the email, but it didn't click in my mind since I was in panic mode.