Guidance Notes

Discussion in 'SA3' started by OneTwoThreeFour, Mar 11, 2006.

1. I'm looking for some help on these. I have to admit I'm really thinking of you Ian here :D (although anyone's comments are very welcome)

It really isn't clear to me what I should be aiming to know about them for the exams. i.e. what level of detail of knowledge is required. Obviously the GNs aren't aimed specifically at being material for the exams so I'm not sure which bits are worth picking out for the exams (assuming I'm not meant to know every last detail?)

Also are there some example past SA3/403 questions covering the GNs that I could look at to get an idea? (I know I could look myself but I don't want to look at the past papers until I sit them under exam conditions as practice)

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Well, all the content of all the GNs are part of the Core Reading, so in theory it's all examinable.

Having said that, in recent years there have been very few questions (Practice Modules excepted) - S2004 (Paper 1) asked for bits of GN18 and 33. 8 marks. Prior to that A2003 paper 1 quizzed GN12, 20 and 33 for 11 marks.

A long time ago, there used to be questions on GN12 (perhaps the most examinable of them all?), but not recently.

I wouldn't spend an age memorising them all - you've probably got better things to do - but at least know generally what's in them.

Don't forget they're all changing soon anyway.
    Ian

3. thanks Ian - that's brilliant

4. Niel

Niel Member

GN12 has changed with effect from 1/6/2006. I assume examiners would take this into account for the exam but would we actually be better off concentrating on the new version? I heard that both April and September exams are set at the begining of the year.

5. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

Good point.

Would the examiners have had access to proposed changes?

6. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You're right - the exam in September will already have been set. However, it's not impossible for last minute changes to be made...!

The examiners will base their questions on the Core Reading as you have it now, ie with the (nearly) old version of GN12. So you would get credit for referencing either the version in the Core Reading, or the new version effective in June. Personally, I think using the new version "looks better", as it shows you're keeping abreast of current issues. Even better, have a knowledge of both versions and show you understand what's changed!

Yes, the examiners would have had access to proposed changes, as all GI practioners have. We were all offered the chance to comment on any proposed changes some time ago (whether we took this opportunity, of course, is another matter ;) ).

Hope this helps you all.
    Ian