Guidance Notes

Discussion in 'SA6' started by Tarri, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Tarri

Tarri Member

I do not know how to incorporate the Guidance Notes into my studies. Is their likely to be a direct question on the guidance note or should I rather use them to get a feel for the role of an actuary in the investment industry.

Any feedback would be most helpful.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Member

"Is their likely to be a direct question on the guidance note or should I rather use them to get a feel for the role of an actuary in the investment industry."

I sat SA2 but imagine the principle is the same. You are very unlikely to be directly tested on the guidance notes in SA6 given the nature of the application type questions in an SA exam. However, high level knowledge of what's covered where will help flesh out your answer. For example, rather than "the actuary should ensure (s)he does X" you'd be saying "the actuary should ensure (s)he does X as specified in GNY".

The practice paper, P6 in your case, might well ask a direct bookwork question about any GN which is core reading. However, given the multiple-choice nature of these exams this would only comprise a small proportion of the paper.

So certainly worth reading them but no value in trying to rote learn them. This understanding was confirmed on a tutorial, though I think it unlikely that an ActEd tutor would go on record and tell you not to learn them since they are technically core reading.

3. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Guidance Notes are probably less important in SA6 than in SA2. I can say that in SA6 there has never been a question to date that involved GNs, or involved knowledge of the contents of GNs, but the past can be a poor guide to the future??!