Guidance in study approach

Discussion in 'CT1' started by sachin.thacker, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Hey Guys,

I have just enrolled for CT1 exams and have taken the study pack. It would be great if can get guidance on the study approach for this subject. Also, which calculator would suffice.

Thanks for guiding me
    Sachin

2. scouseben

scouseben Member

hi,

I use the casio fx-85es, I find it does everything I need and I know how to use it properly and where all the buttons are so as to speed things up in the exam. there are only a selection of calculators aloud - check the professions website for the latest list.

My advice on approach is to do lots and lots of questions. I failed this last year as I did not leave enough time to practice questions - I spent to long reading the notes and making sure I understood it. I find I understand it and can approach questions a lot easier now after doing more questions.

I think when I failed, I had spent too long learning the basics, neglecting the later chapters - but these questions often have the higher marks with them.

I have also got the hang of the compound interest tables (in the Institutes Formulae and Table book which can be used in exams) now - it was not that difficult really - and this can help speed up some calculations.

The ASET pack is also a good source of questions as these are broken down into chapter/subject so you can do a load of questions at each stage (also the revison books are good for this!)

I would also recomend the assignments and the tutorials are always good also to fill in any gaps of knowledge.

3. Thanks for your reply. It will definately help me to plan my study. I am doing the Indian course. I believe you might be doing the UK course. However, I have been told that the material pack are very similar in both these courses. Do you have any idea?

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes, the materials packs are identical - however the exams are different.

5. bystander

bystander Member

The only thing to add on study approach is that it is the quality of study that is important rather than quantity in its own right. By this I mean that actually putting pen to paper and trying questions in full rather than simply thinking or writing the start of your thoughts is important. Be active not passive in your approach. Even if you don't have marking, sticking to the recommended guidelines will pace you through the material to leave the vital revision/practise time.

yes be very familiar with the tables. As far as possible, do know the formula and have it simply as back up if you have a memory lapse in the exam. Certainly don't bother working tabulated answers in your calculator. Takes too long and you could make a slip.

Past paper practise is vital as someone already told you, but so is your timing. You don't want to run out of time in the exam. You need to be able to get through all questions. If you miss one out and are borderline, it could cost you.

Good luck

6. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

Completely agree with bystander - practicing questions is crucial to passing the exams - a bit like training before a marathon (i.e. learning about running is good but you need to actually get out there and put some miles on the legs / brain). I spent quite a few years on the exams and would say (purely based on my own experience - some people may have different approaches that work for them) the best approach would be along the following lines:

The Q&A is designed to help you understand the course and learn the concepts, but won't necessarily provide good practice for the exam. Once you have completed a part of the course use the Q&A to make sure you have covered and understand the important concepts, thereafter attempt the assignment to test your readiness for the actual exam (series X comes with the combined materials pack) - this will be closer to the actual exam-type questions.

Lastly, when you have covered the course & assignments, try full exam papers (at least a few under exam conditions) to practice your speed and get a feel for the combination of questions in a full paper. I would say you would need at least 1-2 papers under full exam conditions (i.e. no extra time or looking back to your notes) to be well prepared.

Lastly - start early and don't cram - you will be exhausted by the time the reach the exam and your brain won't function properly if you try to fit everything into the last week. Have had a few attempts where a question appeared to be completely off the wall in the exam just to realise it was pretty straightforward once I have had a good night's sleep!