Graphs in Excel

Discussion in 'CA2' started by Viki2010, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi, so the question is whether one can get marked down for not including the source of data on the same tab as the graph in the excel model.

I normally have all my calculations and results in other tabs and a graph on a different tab.

In fact, during the preparation day we were advised to keep the Graph on a separate tab.

However, on my Mock A exam for CA2, I am being advised to keep the results (data source for the chart) and the chart on the same tab.

Would not having results on the same tab as a chart loose any marks? I'm only asking because the production of numbers into the additional tab where the chart sits may take extra time as as we know the time pressure of the exam may not offer this type of luxury.

2. ntickner

ntickner Very Active Member

No, you wouldn't lose marks for that. There are marks for the graphs themselves, and the layout /flow of the spreadsheet. So if your graph is in a place which is misleading, you might be penalised, but there's nothing wrong with a separate sheet, provided this is shown in the audit trail.

3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Thank you.
    Can I also please check if the same principles apply to CP3 as to CA2 for the presentation of graphs/ charts? I think for CP3 we should not label numerical values on the e.g. bar charts to avoid cluttering the graphs. Is the approach the same for CA2?

4. ntickner

ntickner Very Active Member

I'm not familiar with the requirements of CP3, but the key for CA2 is communication and clarity. If you need numerical values to get the point across adequately, then they're fine. If the graph communicates the result without them, then you're better off leaving them out. I'd say that in more than 90% of cases, there's no need for numerical labels - I'd recommend them only if some of the elements are so similar that you can't tell them apart by sight.

Hopefully that makes sense.