Graphing Greeks for a Basket of Options

Discussion in 'SP6' started by Oxymoron, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

What is the best way to deal with such questions? I'm first plotting how I think the delta (or others) will look for each and every option independently at a range of strike prices and summing them up, but I end up second guessing the final result at certain strike prices every time since this process is rather intuitive. Is there an alternative way to go about this?

2. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

This sounds like a good approach and should give a suffieciently accurate graph in a reasonable amount of time.

Where you're asked for more than one graph, it might save time to note that a delta graph is just the derivative (ie gradient) of the value graph and that a gamma graph is just the derivative of the delta graph.

3. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Excellent! Thanks!

4. Elroy

Elroy Member

I think this approach is really only best for portfolios containing different maturities, or for greeks other than delta and gamma. Easier to just smooth the payoff and visually differentiate.

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

I've been trying out questions involving sketching greeks for Exotic Options e.g Barrier Options and Combinations such as Butterflies. See ACiD, April_2003, q2 (ii).

However, I am really bad at these kind of questions, I don't remember getting close to the model solutions or at-least understanding what they are doing.

I will appreciate your help.

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
  7. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member