Graduate diploma program of Royal Statistical Society

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Mr. Actuary, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Mr. Actuary

Mr. Actuary Member

Hi everyone
    I am thinking of enrolling in the graduate diploma program of RSS. It is said to be equivalent of a bsc. statistics(hons) of a good university in uk.
    Has anyone here done it before?
    Also can it be an alternative for a university course(bachelors degree)?

2. scarlets

scarlets Member

Heard it is ok but many people don't like distance learning, it can be a bit lonely.

Are you looking to work in the UK? But why? Soon all the Actuary jobs will be in India anyway.

3. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

4. scarlets

scarlets Member

Oxymoron you can mock all you like. I bet you wouldn't like it if jobs were leaving India leaving your people unemployed. How about some respect here please.

5. Calum

Calum Member

If you're so convinced that being an actuary is a dead-end profession, why don't you give it up and find a job that can't be out-sourced?

6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

We have an unemployment rate that's far higher than yours, and an average standard of living comparable to your ghettos. I have no sympathy if people in India are unemployed - if they are, they deserve to be.

It's not about India or the UK or Australia - it's simply about the profession. If you are paid X and want to be paid X, you have to prove why you are superior over some guy in a lesser developed country.

Just because you are arbitrarily born in a specific location doesn't give you any divine hold for being unproductive.

7. scarlets

scarlets Member

I don't see it that way. I'm sure there's always someone in the world willing to do a job for less.

It's not fashionable thinking these days but I think people have a duty, an obligation, to their families, their communities, their country. This means not selling out the future of the next generation to enrich yourself. It's just basic patriotism which used to be a virtue here.

8. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

It's a question of efficient allocation of resources. Let's say someone lives in London, and some guy in Liverpool can do the same job as him for half the rate. Do you segregate the two just because they live a few hundred miles apart? What about Ireland, Scotland? What about France? Russia?

We work for development of humanity in specific and all living organisms in general - not nations.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  9. scarlets

scarlets Member

I'm confused about what you're now arguing. You mocked me when I suggested jobs would continue leaving the UK for India. Then you seem to argue that people in developed countries need to prove their worth. Think I've said it before on this forum that any UK actuary would struggle to justify their salaries as I'm sure someone in India could carry out their tasks for less pay.

So I'm confused what you're arguing against or if you're in agreement with my analysis.

10. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Is this a SOS cry?

Better work => better pay. If you think you're losing your jobs, improve your quality of output. End of.

11. scarlets

scarlets Member

SOS cry? :confused: