Graduate ¨Programs

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Hacktuary85, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Hacktuary85

Hacktuary85 Member

Hi everyone,

I am 28 years old and I graduated (masters degree) in economics in 2010. While working, I studied actuarial sciences (masters degree, what makes me a fully qualified actuary in Spain) and graduated last June (2013). Do you think that I have chances to get a graduate position? Is my age going to be a handicap? I have about two years of technical experience in insurance, it this going to be an advantage or a handicap? I studied in a Spanish univeristy, are companies willing to hire in a graduates from universities out of the UK??

I am a bit lost, any help will be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  2. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

Yes and keep your options open. "Graduate" positions are just a fraction of total available positions.
    No, of course not.

Advantage

For graduates from non-English speaking countries or universities the paramountcy of English language communication skills can not be questioned. Also ensure you have an excellent CV. Your grades should be translatable or universal, for example include performance in terms of percentages in individual subjects for the sake of clarity OR your percentile in the class.

Be prepared for assessment tests: numerical and verbal reasoning.

3. Hacktuary85

Hacktuary85 Member

Thank you for your answer.

You said: ""Graduate" positions are just a fraction of total available positions." How else can I find actuarial entry positions?? I've been searching a lot (theactuaryjob, actuaryjobs, recruiters, reed, monster, company's websites,...) and it seems that there are not actuarial entry positions out of the graduate programs... Where can I find these opportunities?

Thanks,

4. Calum

Calum Member

If you have technical experience in insurance I would have a crack at applying to positions that are looking for junior students. Getting past recruiters may be a hurdle but I'd imagine people would at least look at you.

5. Hacktuary85

Hacktuary85 Member

It is what I've been doing last months, until I came with the Idea to try to join a graduate program.

PS: I have also had very weird experiences with recruiters. They call they tell me they are very interested in me, they tell me about positions they think I could fit in ( even giving companies' names) and they tell me they'll send me a mail with the job descriptions to see what I think, and they never send me the mail ( I could understand it happening once; but it happened several times). I have also been talking about this with some friends who are looking for a position in other industry with specialized recruiters (enregy, etc... ) who had the same experience.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014