Gooner blues

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Goku, May 6, 2009.

1. Goku

Goku Member

Anyone else disappointed with last night's Champions League semi-final result?

2. anon2

anon2 Member

Any genuine football fan would be disappointed with that result.

3. Goku

Goku Member

Hehe, take it you're a fellow gooner mate. Do you live in London? Was really sad for Chelsea too, it was almost as if the entire match was written by script

4. anon2

anon2 Member

No I am not a gooner.

And judging by your location, neither are you.

5. Goku

Goku Member

So are only people who dwell in London gooners? I don't live in London, but I support the Gunners...yesterday was diabolical...

6. I was heartbroken. I'm a chelsea fan... I'm praying that united don't win the final. Over the entire season Barca have played the best football and deserve to win it.

7. Goku

Goku Member

In my opinion, Chelsea were the better side, and I'm sure I speak for a lot of neutral's out there.

From what I saw over both legs of the tie, Barca played more (not better)passing football, BUT Chelsea played more effectively - look at the number of shots on goal (on and off target). They were the more dangerous team, and always looked like scoring when they had the ball. Possession counts for nothing if there is no end-product (just ask the Arsenal guys whom I'm so disappointed in, for the 4th season in a row). I was very impressed with Chelsea; their defence was rock solid, and they used the ball very well, long and short. More so, over both legs, the one player whom everyone relied on to wrap up the tie was the most disappointing.

I suppose that Messi and all the other little sissy-boys at Barca who play the soft, one-touch football can only do that in La Liga, where the teams do not defend and tackle as well as the English teams.

Detracting a bit from the topic, it therefore begs me to ask - is Messi worth the hype everyone loves believing? No doubt he is very skillful on the ball, but so is C.Ronaldo, Arshavin (way more effective in my opinion, where was this dude all along) and Ribery. Slate him all you want, C.Ronaldo is deservedly the best attacking player around till this day, and Messi should not even compare. Ronaldo is lethal, and scores in all types of games; most importantly he plays in English football, which is the hardest around; put him in La Liga, and it'll be too easy for him, he'll score 40 goals each season.

It's a fallacy that Barca play beautiful football; fluent passing of course, but any team can pass sideways in and around the midfield and defence; they showed no direct threat at all, and, getting back to the match, they seemed to rely on a misplaced clearance by Chelsea to allow them to take them closer to goal. Chelsea play better football than them. Yes Drogba should have taken his chances, but every striker has his low days. Sadly for him, he had 2 valid penalty claims, dead-on, which he deserved; but Barcelona had to reach the final this year where it is destined for them to meet United (yeah right).

However, they're too predictable, and soft, and United are going to take full advantage of that...

8. Goku

Goku Member

Oh man...how wrong was I

9. geoff97531

geoff97531 Member

Very wrong thankfully!! Well done Barca, I'm so glad you won.

Fair play to Rio Ferdinand though in his post game interview. Not only did he actually manage to string a few coherent words together, but he was very gracious in defeat too.

Not seen an interview with Fergie yet but the ref was spot on all night. He couldn't possibly have blamed the ref like normal could he??!!!

EDIT: Turns out Fergie was gracious in defeat too. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2009
  10. I've been watching Barca in the last 8 months and I was not surprised (actually I was surprised that the scoreline was only 2 - 0) by what I saw. Without a shadow of doubt they are the best team in the world and play the best football in the world.

I still maintain Barca didn't play their best football last night and ManU were lucky, otherwise the scoreline would have been a lot worse.

Also I am glad that everyone now knows who the best player in the world is. Ronaldo does not even make my top 5. These are my top 5:
    - Lionel Messi (no-brainer)
    - Michael Essien
    - Andres Iniesta
    - Kaka
    - Samuel Eto'o

11. Goku

Goku Member

Yeh, I bet the Gooners would have given them a better match; they play the same type of exhilirating carpet-football...