Going for the 4th attempt at SA3

Discussion in 'SA3' started by sedm0757, Jan 11, 2010.

1. sedm0757

sedm0757 Member

I am heading for my 4th attempt at SA3 and it is the last one that has been outstanding for me for the last 3 sittings.

I have recieved 3 FA's so far and I have had exam councelling and now....

1 st attempt the issues were interpretation of the question; which I do well now.

2nd attempt was about not writting enough

3rd attempt was not writing thepoints the examiner was looking for.

I have done 15ish past papers 3 times and now...

What do I do? What more can I do?

Hemant Rupani likes this.
  2. anon2

anon2 Member

Just have to get lucky this time.

3. learner

learner Member

Some suggestions, although not specifically for SA3, could be:

As the syllabus has changed, study ST7 and ST8. ST9 could also be worth looking at.

Read though GIRO and other conference reports. Read articles in actuarial journals, for example Insurance: Mathematics and Economics if this is of interest.

Do even more past exam papers and look at the syllabus and exam papers for the various national actuarial organisations.

4. fiend

fiend Member

It is only an exam - Don't think negatively about it first off.

Since it is only an exam, you can pass it with adequate preperation. It helps to build up a bank of points and connections to do with the main topics. Then extend this with examples of when they have happened.

Then memorise the crap out of it and also keep building up relationships with the different areas.

Then do skim reading of the giro papers that sound interesting to you. Don't bother with any that are too technical - only look at this stuff at a very high level.

On top of this do lots of past papers but very quickly to help build up your bank of points.

There are only so many things that you can refer to in GI - Know them all!

It is easy once you do - genuinely.

Busy_Bee4422 and Hemant Rupani like this.
  5. sedm0757

sedm0757 Member

Thanks for your replies

My plan at the moment is to read ST7 and ST8 and SA3 (for the 4th time) and make new notes on all of these, up until the end of Februray. Do the same past papers again. Also combine it with the Lists. Does anyone have good lists that I can use?

This is so much like the stuff I did in the past 3 times. Just got to do it again. :)

6. shyguy

shyguy Member

keep motivated

Unless it becomes a financial or domestic problem, you should keep going if you need it for work and career and/or you are young enough. The new syllabus for SA3 was disappointing. It became oldSA3+ a little extra +ST7+ST8 and just seemed to increase with very little amendment. However, you probably work in an area of GI and thus may need to get lucky with a question on the appropriate product/class/work you or need a senior manager to have written a paper on what you are doing. Eg last year, commercial pricing and solvency were the questions. I stopped taking the exams by then and that was the one to take to maximise my chances.

7. bystander

bystander Member

Your active approach is very commendable. Its too easy to just re-read stuff and think its sinking in when its not. So the fresh notes are a good idea.

have you had a tutorial before? I'm not suggesting regular, but maybe a revision one would help. You can see what other people have as weaknesses. If this is representative of candidates on the day and you can master those then maybe that will help.

I know the problem of running out of papers. have the qns changed in ActEd assignments? That could give you a fresh challenge, or a mock?

The wide reading should also help spark ideas.

Your perseverance will pay off. Just on the day, don't think 'Oh not that again'. More 'I can do this (this time)'. Take time to read the qns and brainstorm so you get all your ideas together and present fully and logically.

All the best

8. sedm0757

sedm0757 Member

Point Generation

I have got many lists and I do adapt them to the specifics but still I think it needs more. There has got to be a more complete list of stuff to say at the exam?

If I go for everything in my lists (spray painting) then I run out of time. When I pick the most appropriate I miss some points. This is difficult.