GI at consultancies

Discussion in 'Careers' started by streetfighta, Dec 7, 2014.

1. streetfighta

streetfighta Member

Hello

I am thinking of applying for actuarial roles at consultancies and was hoping I could ask some questions to people who work there. I am thinking of going for a capital modelling role and have a couple of years experience in GI.

Do you enjoy the variety of your work?
    Does everyone have to get involved in audits and how much of your year is spent on them?
    Do you have much control over which projects you work on?
    How often do you have to travel to client sites?
    Do you work really long hours?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

2. jjjkkk

jjjkkk Member

I'm working in GI consultancy at the moment. I've worked industry before and I can safely say the breadth of experience you get in consultancy is un-rivalled.

I definitely enjoy the variety but I do think you pay for it with longer hours.
    In my consultancy (big 4) everyone gets involved in audits but it may be different elsewhere. The majority of audits get covered in December-Feb/March.
    You have zero control over what you work on in the beginning but once you build up the expertise you do get the ability to put yourself forward for certain pieces of work and reject others, to some extent at least.
    I'd typically be out of the office on average 1-2 days per week but depends what you're working on really.