Geometric Brownian motion for Exchange Options

Discussion in 'SP6' started by welsh_owen, Sep 6, 2012.

1. welsh_owen

welsh_owen Member

Hi All,

I have a question relating to exchange options which are covered in chapter 9, pages 12-13.

I wondered what Brownian motion process the underlying share price is assumed to adopt?

When working on question 4.16 in the Q&A I found this quite interesting.

The solution suggests that the stochastic process adopted by share 1 was assumed to be;

S(t) = log N(mu(1)t, sigma(1)^2(t)) and a similar equation for share 2.

Using this approach the answer can be pulled together and happy days.

The question I have relates to why the share process isn't assumed to adopt the process stated in Chapter 5 for the underlying process? (which can be found on page 16 of Chapter 5).

Namely S(t) = log N(log S(0) + (mu(1)-0.5t*sigma(1)^2)(t), (sigma(1)^2)(t))

I appreciate in the risk-neutral world mu(1) would be replaced for the risk-free rate (which effectively cancels our here).

I wondered whether the solution used the correct process for modelling the underlying share price to allow for the BS model to be used to value the option?

Thanks,
    O

2. David Hopkins

David Hopkins Member

Hi Owen

Yes, I think there is a mistake in the solution here. The lognormal distributions for the share prices should include a log S(0) term in the "mu parameter".

As you say, these don't affect the final answer, since the option price only depends on the risk-free interest rate, not the real-world growth rate.

I'll add this to our list of corrections.