General Qns About The Exam

Discussion in 'CM1' started by AmanK, Apr 4, 2024.

1. AmanK

AmanK Member

Hi,

I just had a few qns about the CM1 exam. I would be grateful for any answers. It is my first sitting so apologies if these are silly qns.

1. Will we ever lose marks for quoting an answer to 'too many' decimal places, for a qn where it does not specify you need to quote to a certain number of sig figs. So for example, if the question asks you to find the price of something, would you lose marks if you put something like £1,103.740286384 ?

2. I am a bit confused about the upload time of 30 mins and how that is allocated. Is it such that, after the exam time (e.g. 3hr 20 mins for CM1) you get an extra 30 mins to upload, and thus meaning as long as you upload the exam within 3hr 50 mins from the start time, you are in the clear(assuming the last time you save the exam is within the 3hr 20 mins)?

3. Is it fine for us to attempt answers in any order we choose. E.g. could my word document have qn 5 on the 1st page, qn 3 on the 2nd page, and then qn 10 on the 3rd page etc? Or must we layout the qns in order, regardless of the order we choose to attempt them in?

Thank you so much!
    Aman

2. Darrell Chainey

Darrell Chainey ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi,
    1. Unlikely but possible, especially in paper A if you have used rounded numbers earlier (eg from the Tables). But they'd probably only penalise you once across the whole paper, and only the odd half mark or two. But they all count and so if you're copying in numbers from Excel, just lose some sig figs. (If you're using a calculator then assume you'd never write that many anyway as it would waste time) I wouldn't want to display that many numbers in paper B and so just lose some decimal places in the display - no need to ROUND() unless the question asks you to.
    2. Correct - all the details in Apprendix 3 of the Handbook: https://actuaries.org.uk/qualify/examinations-handbook/
    3. Any order is fine. Just start each one on a new page and label clearly.

Good luck.

AmanK likes this.
  3. AmanK

AmanK Member

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, I really appreciate it!

Darrell Chainey likes this.