Game Theory

Discussion in 'CT7' started by paryas.bhatia, Oct 20, 2014.

1. paryas.bhatia

paryas.bhatia Member

I am not able to understand the game theory part of chapter 8. Please explain in some simple way.

2. Anna Walklate

Anna Walklate ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi,

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about what it is that you don't understand?

Anna

3. paryas.bhatia

paryas.bhatia Member

The matrix is very confusing. I don't understand the when will the firm choose high or low.

4. woozie.boozie

woozie.boozie Member

-----------------------Firm B----------------------------------------------
    -----------------High----------Low----------------------------------------
    --------High----(6, 4)--------(2, 6)---------------------------------------
    Firm A---------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------Low-----(8, 0)--------(4, 2)--------------------------------------

Hey Man, suppose there's this matrix (same as page-19 of that chapter)
    Now according to single move Game Theory.

The numbers in parenthesis (a,b) -> "a" represents Firm A's price and "b" represents Firm B's price.

So supposedly Firm B makes the first move of choosing his highest pay-off, 6. Which is when he'll charge low right. So as Firm B was the first one to make a move, now it's firm A's turn, who has an option to choose low or high prices. Now if firm A will go for High -> it will give only pay-off of 2, while if they go for Low -> a pay-off of 4. So they'll obvious go to Low right. Now this leaves Firm B in bad position. So they'll also choose their pay-off in such a way that'd be most profitable for them. In this case, it's better if they stick to low, as if they go for high, they'll get 0 as a pay-off as firm-A would still go low and get a pay-off of 8.
    So firm A went for low either way, that'd become their dominant strategy.

Similarly do it for B, you'll get to know, low is their dominant strategy too.

Cool ? Now u can apply all the strategies, just follow this principle :D

Now someone please answer my question, Iv made a new thread :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014