Gaining credit twice for answers - April 2019

Discussion in 'SP8' started by sma09gc, Sep 13, 2019.

1. sma09gc

sma09gc Member

Hi,

I’m just looking at the April 2019 paper. I’ve seen two examples of questions: 3i) and 7ii) where credit is given in the mark scheme for making the same point twice. Is this common? Is it worth writing the same thing down twice under different headings, if you don’t feel you’ve made enough points?

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Which points are you referring to? It probably won't be exactly the same point, as they try to avoid duplication. No, you shouldn't write the same thing twice in the exam (at least, not for the same question part!).

3. sma09gc

sma09gc Member

For 3i) the same example is given under economic conditions & exchange rate headings ‘eg some costs will be incurred abroad and will be affected by currency movements’

For 7ii) there is quite a lot of duplication of drivers of inflation across both frequency & severity eg structure of risk, coverage, mix of business. If these were put as a general point not specifically under one of the headings, would they only gain half credit?

Thanks for you help.

4. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

ah, ok, so it's not exactly the same point, it's the same factor that's affecting two different things - in which case you would get credit both times, and yes, if you only said it generally you'd only get half the credit.