Functions of random variable - continuous random variables

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Rupel, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Rupel

Rupel Member

Hi,

I'm can someone please explain the method of obtaining the function of random variables incase of continuous random variables. I'm a bit confused with the procedure given in the combined materials pack.

2. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

Suppose we are deriving the PDF of Y , where Y is a function of X. In continuous case, we first need to find CDF. For finding CDF, the steps are:
    F(Y)= P(Y<y)
    then putting value of Y. Suppose Y= 2x
    F(Y)= P(2x<y)
    rearranging, F(Y) = P(x<y/2)
    Now, it is the prob. of x less than y/2 and we have the distribution of x.
    So, F(Y)= integration of (fx)dx to limits 0 to y/2. (say, lower limit of fx is 0)
    Now, we have the CDF of Y
    Then find PDF of Y by differentiating CDF w.r.t.y
    Also, remember to write the ranges of Y. Hop this helps!

John Lee likes this.
  3. Rupel

Rupel Member

Thanks Bharti:)

4. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

You are welcome :)

5. Nabil Janmohamed

Nabil Janmohamed Keen member

Hi,

Can someone help me with the question attached?

Best,

Nabil

Attached Files:

6. vgarg

vgarg Member

Here it is

\begin{align*} \mathbb{E}[X] &= \int_{0}^{\infty} xf_X(x)dx \quad \text{By definition } \\ &= \int_{0}^{\infty} \left ( \int_{0}^{x} \ dt \right )f_X(x)dx \quad \because \int_{0}^{x} \ dt = x \\ &= \int_{0}^{\infty} \left ( \int_{0}^{x}f_X(x) \ dt \right )dx \because f_X(x)\text{ is a constant in the inner integral}\\ &= \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{x} f_X(x) \ dt dx\end{align*}

Now note that in the above double integral expression we are integrating first with respect to variable \(t\) holding variable \(x\) constant and then integrating with respect to variable \(x\).

function5.png
    As we see in the above plot we can interchange the order integration above i.e. integrate first wrt variable \(x\) by holding variable \(t\) constant and then integrating wrt variable \(t\) and we get the following

\begin{align*} \mathbb{E}[X] &= \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{x} f_X(x) \ dt dx \quad \text{From the above expression} \\ &= \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{t}^{\infty} f_X(x) \ dx dt \\ &= \int_{0}^{\infty}\left (\int_{t}^{\infty}f_X(x) dx \right ) dt \\ &= \int_{0}^{\infty}\left (1-F_X(t) \right ) dt \end{align*}

Note: This is only valid if rv \(X\) has a support in \(\mathcal{R}_+\)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
    Bharti Singla likes this.
  7. Nabil Janmohamed

Nabil Janmohamed Keen member

Thanks, this is immensely helpful.