Frictional Cost of Capital

Discussion in 'SA2' started by Brickie_Burns, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Brickie_Burns

Brickie_Burns Member

Can anyone just remind me why risk capital tied up in a life insurance company is tax inefficient for shareholders?

2. pig

pig Member

My guess is the following -

Tied up risk capital will invest in more secure lower yielding assets that generates less "I".

If the company is XSI then the lower investment income may mean that the company won't pass the NC1 profit test and have to pay XSE tax?

Another possibility is that the company may have to sell other assets to create capital to back the risk and have to realise any capital gains in the original assets in the process?

3. dgw201

dgw201 Member

Maybe it's that an individual would be liable to a lower rate of tax on fixed income investments than an insurer?

Any other ideas?

4. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

The suggested further reading paper "Current developments in EV reporting" (2005) has a good description of frictional costs in Appendix B (see link at bottom of http://www.sias.org.uk/siaspapers/pastmeetings/view_meeting?id=EmbeddedValue)

For tax it says:

"B.2.5.8.1 Cost of double taxation

Unlike many industries, insurance companies are required to hold
    significant shareholder assets for long periods. In many countries, including
    the U.K., it is more tax efficient for investors to hold these assets directly
    than via the insurance company structure. In the former situation, they only
    incur tax on the investment return once, whereas, in the latter, they incur tax
    twice."