Football World Cup

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Muppet, Apr 21, 2006.

?

Who's gonna' win the World Cup?

Poll closed May 31, 2006.
  1. England

5.0%
  2. Brazil

55.0%
  3. Argentina

5.0%
  4. Italy

5.0%
  5. Germany

5.0%
  6. France

5.0%
  7. Holland

5.0%
  8. Other

15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Muppet

Muppet Member

Who's gonna win the world cup?

2. leafy

leafy Member

I voted for Brazil, despite thinking that they aren't a shadow of their former selves at the moment, for one reason: Ronaldinho.

I think that England have as good a chance as anyone though. On paper we certainly have a very strong team, but sadly experience has taught me that it seems to count against us when we do! I just hope that they can settle as a "team". We always play well against the big boys...I just hope we don't get knocked out to a plucky underdog!

Leafy

3. leafy

leafy Member

Rooney out?
    King injured, Owen injured, Terry injured?

I would like to retract that previous statement.
    Anyone taking bids on England to *not* win??

Leafy

4. Goku

Goku Member

The winner shall win!

Hi guys,

Although I'm a Brazilian supporter thru and thru, this time I would like to see another team life the Cup of all Cups! Reasons being:
    1. Brazil have not played Brazilian(in other words "well") enough thus far to deserve the coveted title,

2. The players seem to be caught up in their own games most of the time, opting to go for individual glory rather than combining as a team and producing breath-taking, flawless football which we expect to see each time they play(this was most evident in their previous encounter with Ghana).

3. There are other teams that have played in much more difficult groups( both in the first round, round of 16 and the up-and-coming quarter-finals), the most conspicable of them being Argentina, with kid-wonder Messi and England with sensational-Rooney who can score at will.

I feel Brazil will beat France by a considerable margin on Saturday (2-0) from where they will meet up with England who would have combined well to outplay Portugal in a hard-fought 1-0 win. Italy would have burst the Ukrainian's ever-growing bubble of expectation and would face Argentina who would have ran circles around a very organised, efficient yet unimaginative German team. England will beat Brazil this time around and progress to face Argentina, against whom they will attain their ultimate revenge for their painful past: the Hand-of-God.

Final Score: England 2: Argentina 0

:cool:

5. kazikizi

kazikizi Member

I'd rather lose a limb than see england lift the world cup

6. examstudent

examstudent Member

am brazilain supporter
    but have horrible feeling brazil could lose to france if they dont raise game
    hopefully robihno will back, he make steh team look mroe inventive up front

7. Muppet

Muppet Member

At least my poll included 6 of the 8 1/4-finalists.

Missed out Ukrane and Portugal - bad luck Italy and England!!

8. kanch

kanch Member

Germany has a good chance on their own backyard but still Brazil can turn it around if they play to their full potential.

9. ekla_cholo_re

ekla_cholo_re Member

England knocked out of the world cup

I only have to say that the following saying applies to the English Football team at present,

"EMPTY VESSELS MAKE MUCH NOISE".

I think the English Football Team certainly won the world cup in making big remarks in the press about how confident they are, they have the potential etc etc, their wives going about in Germany shopping, partying etc etc.

But when it comes to the crunch moment, these footballers who are on a 6 figure paycheck every week cannot even score a penalty let alone play together as a team during the 90 minutes.

I know many of you and the press might say yes they played bravely inspite of being down to 10 men, but isn't this happening very frequently now? I mean these footballers who are placed on such a high esteem by the media never seem to perform in the big situations.

Finally the following steps should be taken after England's performance in the world cup,

1. Reduce the ridiculous salaries that these Footballers recieve every week

2. The English press for once should stop hyping up this Football team as if they are the best in the world. Get a life and report about some other issues.

10. kazikizi

kazikizi Member

The english are useless at everything apart from binge drinking. I think the english team should not be allowed to take part in the world cup for the next 1000 years.

11. examstudent

examstudent Member

sven had bad tactics
    needed more strikers and a silly formation
    pity as england have very good players and manger didnt get best out of them

same applied to brazil
    poor tactics and not enough attack

should have been brazil vs england semi

12. jimjoachim

jimjoachim Member

Tactics has been the downfall of England, Argentina and Brazil.

Argentina - They were 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go for a reason. Germany hadnt touched the ball the whole game and they decide to replace Riquelme and Crespo. Riquelme has been one of the tournaments outstanding players and he gets taken off to sure up the midfield?? Against whatt?? What could Germany have done while watching Riquelme work his magic with the ball?? Also, if you have a talent such as Messi in your squad you would definatley expect to see him at some stage but he didnt even get a kick in the quarter final.

England - Goes without saying what they done wrong. Travelling with 4 strikers really backfired. Esp considering one of which was never gonna get a game.
    Also, Svens inability to grow a set of balls and drop Lampard cost England.

Brazil - Like Messi for Argentina Brazil should have used Robinho more effectivly.
    If he had came on instead of Adriano in could have been a different story!!

Its frustrating because this WC had so much potential!!
    The best England squad in a long time, A Spanish side that looked ready to fufill its potential, an argentinian side that looked damn good and Brazil!!

Now what are people gonna say about who wins this tournament??
    Remember that great [insert overachieving country name] side of 2006??

13. p51ngh

p51ngh Member

I agree... they should instead channel all that money to all the underpaid actuaries in the north and also to less fortunate groups like the Actuarial Society of Afganistan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2006
  14. Muppet

Muppet Member

so should I feel smug that I was the only one (of the hundreds who voted) to go for Italy - and I started the poll.

Well the answer is no - no money was bet. :(