Follow Through Marks in Calculation Questions

Discussion in 'SP8' started by Nynaeve, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Nynaeve

Nynaeve Member

Hello,

I wanted to check what the process in the exam is for follow-through marks, e.g. if you make an arithmetic error at the start of a calculation but carry the rest of it out correctly. Obviously you won't get the "right" final number because of the arithmetic error, but exactly how harshly would that be penalised?

I asked as I just received my mock exam script back from ActEd and I had a couple of small errors at start of parts (ii) and (v) in Question 7. In both cases I carried out the rest of the calculation correctly, but the marker stopped marking as soon as they reached that error, so I didn't receive any marks for the subsequent correct calculation methodology. Additionally, I then carried my part (ii) answer into part (iii) and received zero marks for part (iii) because of that - my feedback was that the calculation was correct, but because I carried forward an error I got the wrong final number, so I couldn't get the mark.

Is this how it will be marked in the final exam? i.e. do you stop marking once you reach a calculation error, regardless if the subsequent steps in the calculation are correct? I currently spend quite a bit of time on calculation questions typing out my approach step by step in Word to ensure I pick up any calculation follow through marks, so want to check if this is still worthwhile doing?

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Follow through marks are normally given (both in our Mocks/assignments, and in the actual exam), you are only penalised once for an error in a calculation. If you can contact our Marking team we can look into the marker's comments more closely to see what's going on.
    Thanks
    Ian