Flash cards or Revision booklets?

Discussion in 'CA1' started by kanch, Nov 23, 2006.

1. kanch

kanch Member

Which one would you reccomend? Assuming you have already got the ASET do you think flashcards would be more useful or is it worth going for both? Views from anyone who has used them for CA1 is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    K

2. bystander

bystander Member

For me, revision notes. Depends how you learn though. I do things topic by topic so suits me.

But never hurts to use all sources. There may be a hidden gem somewhere.

3. Deniese

Deniese Member

I couldn't do without both. I find them essential.

I have used flashcards a few times including for the CA12 exam and it helped me memorise the subject.

I have always used ASET and reckon I would fail if I didn't.

Go on, spoil yourself - Get both!!!

4. Erik

Erik Member

I am studying CA1 for September 07 and will be getting revision notes (not ASET, since they overlap quite a bit, and revision notes has much more past exam questions). Don't know about the Flashcards, I am paying for my own tuition material (CMP quite expensive already) so I'll be making my own summaries to chapters.

Am I the only one who finds the past exam questions much better preparation for exams than for example question and answerbank + assignments?

What do others think.

Cheers.
    Erik.

5. SummerBub

SummerBub Member

Agree with you. Past exam papers are definitely more relevant. The assignments are ok but I feel the Q&A bank is not that helpful.

By the way, I am left with CT4 for CT papers and planning to take CA1 in Apr 07. However, some people advised me to clear the CTs before the Institute change syllabus (again!):eek: . I also heard that there are plans to break CA1 into 2 papers. Any advice?

6. Erik

Erik Member

CA1 is two papers, one morning and one afternoon. Both cover the whole course and must be sat together. Don't know about plans for two seperate subjects. I don't think the syllabus for CT4 will change much before say 2010. (I think there's a new education strategy every 5 years.) This leaves plenty of time for CA1 and CT4.

PS. I hoped you've started studying CA1 for April. I've just recieved my CMP and it's quite a LOT. Don't think it's a project for one study session! Anyway, good luck with your studies.

Cheers,
    Erik

7. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Definately Flash cards.

You will not have time for the revision booklets - they are for resitters mostly anyway.

You still need ASSET also with the X Assignments and Q & A.

8. Cymro Card

Cymro Card Member

Guess this just goes to show different strokes for different folks, but for me...

Asset is essential as both tests yr knowledge and timing

Q&As are okay as a foundation but miss the skill of pulling ideas from differnt chapters

Revision booklets are a useway way of going thro the core reading. The old questions help the exam practise and the "walk through" questions are kinda useful.

Flashcards, never used them. Guess they coluld be useful, but I find it's the pulling the ideas together that is the hardest part rather than knowing the ideas in isolation.

But as I said, this is just me. Maybe get them all the first time round and see what works for you.... good luck!

9. kanch

kanch Member

I think flash cards will definetely come handy. As someone mentioned, I am in a situation where I think I will not have time to do revision booklets. Ofcourse if time permitted I would personally get revision booklets as well!!

Thnaks for all the advice/comments

10. Dha

Dha Member

I think there's so much study material avaialble, it's easy to get bogged down with it all. I've used revision books and ASET in the past, so I'm just going to stick with them. I think the Q&A questions are very useful for learning the course; obviously, they're not very good in terms of direct exam preparation, but they're a useful way of getting to know the course at the start.