Fixed vs variable commutation factors

Discussion in 'SP4' started by Mukul, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Mukul

Mukul Made first post

Question 18.9 (exam style questions)
    Talks about the advantages and disadvantages of a fixed vs market related CCF (cash commutation factor).
    A particular line (for variable factors) in the solution says - "The amount of pension commuted will increase when interest rates are high". can someone elaborate on this?
    As far as I understand if an individual (in a DB scheme) has a benefit of 100 at retirement and has an option to commute say 20%. Then the cash pay out would be 20 * CCF which would be low considering the interest rate is high! CCF is a single life annuity, right?
    What am I missing here?

2. mulita

mulita Member

Maybe because when interest rates are high, pension paid will be low, so most will prefer to get cash i.e. to commute.

3. Mukul

Mukul Made first post

Thanks for your reply!
    Initially I had the same thing in mind. But considering it is a DB scheme, annuity rates don't really matter. Because there is no cash conversions. Thoughts ?

4. Roy672

Roy672 Active Member

Sounds like a typo. Could one of the tutors confirm?

Mukul likes this.
  5. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Mukul, thanks for raising this.

I think the sentence "The amount of pension commuted will increase when interest rates are high" is assuming that the member will want a certain amount of cash; the sentence would be clearer if it said something like "For a given lump sum, the amount of pension that needs to be commuted will be higher when interest rates are high'

For example, if a member wants £10,000 cash and interest rates are low, so the commutation factor is relatively high, say 20, then they will need to commute £500 of pension to get £10,000 cash

In contrast, if interest rates are high, so the commutation factor is low, say 10, then the member will need to commute £1,000 of pension to get £10,000 cash.

I'll ask for this to be clarified in the next edition of the Course Notes, but hope that helps in the meantime.

Best wishes
    Gresham

Mukul likes this.
  6. Mukul

Mukul Made first post

Sounds perfect! Thanks. :)