Finished the course... now what?!

Discussion in 'SP2' started by StephM, Aug 19, 2010.

1. StephM

StephM Member

Hi all - I'm having a minor nervous breakdown, so any suggestions on how to progress would be welcome.

I feel like I don't know the course at all - and my marked assigment scores of between 30% and 50% somewhat agree with this - bearing in mind I used my notes for some of the questions this isn't good!!

What should I do now in the 6ish weeks leading up to the exam? I have a choice of:

- Re-reading the course
    - Using flash cards
    - Re-doing assignments
    - Doing the Q&A bank
    - Starting ASET exam papers using the grid
    - Doing exam papers from start to finish
    - Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Steph

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am going on a block tutorial, but it isn't until the 14th september, so I need to have a large chunk of revision done before then...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

Hey,

I found the revision books very good for ST2, they do the last 10 years of exam papers adjusted for any changes in the course to date as well as all the core reading.
    If you don't have these I'd suggest going back over the course, if you really feel you don't know it, but only reading the core reading bits and then start exam papers. I found it took a while to start understanding what the questions were actually asking instead of what I thought they were asking! :rolleyes:

Best of luck with it!

3. I agree with Phoenix that Revision booklets are quite good. However, I think the revision booklets are particularly useful when somebody has understood the material well and does not need a detailed explanation of each answer.

Personally, I am a big fan of ASET. Especially, as you have said that you are not sure whether you actually know the course...when you’ll do the ASET with the detailed explanation of each and every point, you will feel very confident and will be able to recollect what you’ve studied in the Course notes. ASET also explains where most of the students make mistakes and includes the Examiners’ comments as well. I know that it takes more time than the Revision booklets but I think it’s worth spending time on them.

I am not sure why am I advertising the Acted products without being paid anything by them:rolleyes:

4. bystander

bystander Member

Firstly don't panic. You are in a much better position than most. Assignments were a learning curve.

Go back to them but don't slavishly re-work them. Look at what topics were your weakest areas and focus revision there first. Often when you get low marks having hard the 'help' of the course, its because you are slavishly sticking to it without relating it to the specifics of the question.

Such application skills come from doing actual past questions and being disciplined in the art of scrutinising instruction words and the scenario of the question.

When you've gone thru' your weak topics move to real questions. Doesn't matter where from.

Then maybe consider a marked mock under full conditions. This will test how you have assimulated the knowledge of the whole course. Sometimes it only starts to make sense at this stage. If you get the mock back before your tutorial you'll be in a good place to understand latest weaknesses and maybe be able to ask pertinent questions on your less confortable areas.

Try creating revision aide memoires for yourself. These tend to be more memorable for you than any pre-prepared lists that others have. But the lists are just a memory jogger -- get used to filtering ideas for relevance.

Good luck